This year I'm participating in an online Christmas Cookies Recipe swap! I used to participate in an actual Christmas Cookie swap but people started making the same cookies or everyone didn't participate and I dropped out. So when the opportunity to swap cookie recipes with another blogger came along I was more then ready to do it!
I received a recipe from Sarah at Sarah Cooks the Books. She gave me a choice of two cookies and I chose the Pink Frosted Cookies. I know, the title says Red Frosted Cookies but Sarah said I could use holiday colors if I wanted. I was excited to make this recipe because it looked like a soft sugar cookie with fluffy buttercream icing.
I wasn't disappointed. These cookies baked up big and soft. They were sweet and buttery and I could have eaten them without any frosting but where is the fun in that? Instead I whipped up this delicious fluffy frosting in red and sprinkled on some green sprinkles for fun.
These were such an easy to make Christmas cookie I know I'll be making them again. Plus, since the frosting can be any color you want, these would be great for other holidays as well. Make sure you put this on your Christmas Cookie list this year!
For the cookies:
- 2 ½ c. flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting:
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl beat the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix until incorporated. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet by heaping tablespoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add in the vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Stir in a few drops of food coloring.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cookies and top with sprinkles if desired.
Recipe from Sarah Cooks the Books
Stop by and give our hosts some love too! They will have the complete list of cookie participants and their recipes so make sure you stop by and check them out: