Do you ever have a day when you’re cold, you’re tired, and things just aren’t going your way? Unfortunately I’ve had a lot more of those lately at school. So by the time I get home from school I just want something warm and comforting.
Whenever I want something warm and comforting I turn to chocolate. Who doesn’t love chocolate when they are feeling blue? When it’s cold outside then I want nothing but hot chocolate. The warm chocolate topped with marshmallows warms my belly and my spirit.
However, there are some days when even hot chocolate can’t do the trick. That’s when I bring out the S’mores Hot Chocolate. That’s right! I make hot chocolate even more decadent using toasted marshmallows, chocolate syrup, and graham cracker crumbs.
First I make my homemade hot cocoa. I rim a mug with graham cracker crumbs and pour the hot cocoa into it. I top it off with a ton of marshmallows and put it in the oven to toast. When it comes out of the oven the smell is heavenly. You can leave it like that or make it more decadent by drizzling it with chocolate.
It tastes amazing. Graham crackers with toasted marshmallows and chocolate is a winning combination. This is the ultimate in comfort beverages.
Having a holiday party? The great thing about these is that you can rim the mugs with graham crackers ahead of time and set them on a baking sheet. Then when people arrive simply pour the hot cocoa, top with marshmallows, and broil. Three minutes later you have hot mugs of S’mores Cocoa!
- 2 c. milk
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Graham cracker crumbs (1 sheet graham crackers)
- ½ c. mini marshmallows
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
- In a medium mu combine the milk, cocoa powder, and sugar. Stir and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove from microwave.
- Take a marshmallow and run it around the rim of a tall mug. You can also use a bit of honey. Turn it over and dip it into the graham cracker crumbs.
- Carefully pour the hot chocolate into the mug. Top with marshmallows.
- Place the mug on a baking dish.
- Turn on the broiler in your oven to high. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 1-2 minutes. Watch it carefully to make sure the marshmallows don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired. Mug handle will be hot for a few minutes so use caution when handling.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
Check out these other fun Christmas recipes:
Pistachio Roca from Cravings of a Lunatic
Cranberry Chai Tea Cookies from Farm Fresh Feasts
Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies from Food Lust People Love
Rocky Road Fudge by My Catholic Kitchen