Let's be honest. When it's cold outside I want nothing more than to curl on on my couch, under a blanket, with a hot beverage in my hand. I also want to be reading a book. However, I don't often get to do that since I have a very active toddler running around my house.
The one thing I can do is wear my warm clothes and make myself a hot beverage. Usually I'll just make a cup of coffee or hot tea but sometimes I want something a little more fun. I keep a big baggie filled with homemade hot cocoa mix in the cupboard all winter long so I can have that but even then sometimes I want something else.
I started looking for different flavors of hot cocoa. I know some people just buy the little packets but it's so easy to make it at home why would you buy them? Plus when you make your own you can add spices or extra flavors to make them unique and fun. This Red Velvet Hot Cocoa not only tastes great but it looks pretty as well!
Don't think this recipe is going to be tough to make. With just 6 simple ingredients I had a rich and delicious cup of homemade Red Velvet Hot Cocoa. It has chocolate chips, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar in it along with red food coloring. Depending on the brand of food coloring you may need a ton or just a few drops.
I topped my hot cocoa off with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and red sprinkles but you don't have to go to that extreme. I will say if you do, it's totally decadent and worth it but a mug of just the Red Velvet Hot Cocoa is pretty awesome as well.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 T. brown sugar
- ¼ c. chocolate chips
- 1 t. red food coloring
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. cinnamon
- whipped cream
- In a medium saucepan combine the milk, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and red food coloring.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the hot cocoa into a mug and top with whipped cream if desired.
Drinks to Warm You Up
- Homemade Vanilla Syrup and Caramel Macchiato by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Dark Chocolate Orange Hot Cocoa by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Hot Chocolate Eggnog by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hot Malted Cocoa by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Original Irish Coffee by Family Around the Table
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate by Palatable Pastime
- Red Velvet Hot Cocoa by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Spiced Caramel Apple Cider by Sweet Beginnings
- Wassail and the Tradition of Toasting by Culinary Adventures with Camilla