As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I love a cup of hot chocolate in the winter. There’s no better way to warm up and feel like I’m getting a treat then to enjoy a cup of it. For the last few years I’ve said goodbye to store bought mixes and have begun making my own. It’s so easy to make hot chocolate I’m not sure why I haven’t been doing it forever!
The only things you really need to make it are milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Everything else is optional so as long as you have those 3 ingredients in your house you can make a cup of hot chocolate whenever you want. Since I can’t leave anything the way it is I of course have started playing with different flavors of hot chocolate.
While my preferred flavor pairing with hot cocoa is peppermint or caramel I’m always open to new ideas. Last week I saw a container of pumpkin puree sitting in my refrigerator just dying to be used up. Since I really like pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes I knew that I liked the pumpkin and chocolate combination and decided to make Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate.
This recipe is super easy and is perfect for a cold winter day. I used my basic hot cocoa recipe except I substituted in brown sugar for regular and then I added in pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla. Once it was hot I poured it into a mug and topped it with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.
I loved the addition of pumpkin and spices to the chocolate. It really gave the beverage some depth and added flavor. The whipped cream on top added a nice silkiness. If you like pumpkin and chocolate together make sure to give this one a try!
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 c. pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Whipped Cream
- Place the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Mix until combined.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until it simmers.
- Remove from heat. Pour into a mug.
- Top with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe
Check out these delicious warm drinks:
- Cinnamon Spice Hot Toddy by Books n’ Cooks
- Dirty Earl Grey Latte by The Baking Fairy
- Earl Grey Hot Toddy by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Hot Ginger Coffee by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Oatmeal Cookie Latte by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Ultimate Hot Chocolate by Family Around the Table