As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
For the past few years I’ve been using almond milk as a non-dairy and vegan option in my baking. The smooth taste with a hint of almonds make an awesome addition to many of my vegan baked goods. My husband likes to use Silk Almondmilk in his morning coffee.
Since I use an almond and coconut flour mix in my gluten free baking, I knew I could make an amazing almond milk recipe with almond milk.
Since the 4th of July is coming up I’ve been really into making desserts and drinks that are red, white, and blue. I’ve been well stocked with strawberries and blueberries in the refrigerator so I was ready to go. I tried two or three different recipes before I decided on scones. I thought that the vanilla almond flavor from the almond milk would be wonderful with the blueberries and strawberries.
I made the scones with applesauce instead of eggs and the almond milk in place of the regular milk. I also used a butter substitute in order to make these scones both vegan and dairy free. I added in the strawberries, blueberries, and some dried cranberries. This was super easy to whip up and would be a great breakfast with coffee or a delicious dessert. I sprinkled some gold and silver sprinkles on top to make them shimmer and the results were stunning.
I served them to my husband without letting on that they were vegan or dairy free. He loved them! He commented on the subtle vanilla flavor mixing well with the berries. When I told him they were vegan and dairy free he was really surprised and told me again how much he enjoyed them. I also enjoyed the scones. While they are softer then traditional scones, they are every bit as delicious. Silk Almondmilk and Almond Coconut Blend are easy to substitute into baked goods, smoothies, and even milkshakes. It’s an even substitution and it tastes great. Don’t be afraid to try it! It’s delicious.
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1/4 c. applesauce
- 3/4 c. Silk Almondmilk + 2 Tablespoons for brushing on top
- 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/4 c. fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons gold or silver sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the buttery spread. Using your fingers, rub the buttery spread into the dry ingredients. It will have the consistency of wet sand.
- In a small bowl combine the applesauce and Silk Almondmilk. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until a rough dough forms. Add in the blueberries, strawberries, and cranberries. Gently mix them into the dough.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on a cutting board. Pat the dough into a circle that in 1 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 10 equal pieces. Place 5 pieces on each baking sheet. I used a pie server to pick the scones up and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with the remaining Silk Almondmilk. Sprinkle with silver and gold sprinkles if desired.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack until completely cool.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe