It’s Christmas in July! Christmas in July! Why? Well, why not? July is by far my favorite month so why not celebrate Christmas this month as well?! Are you wondering why July is my favorite month? There are two reasons. The first is that it’s my birthday month so it has always been my favorite. As an adult it is my favorite because it is the only full month that I don’t have to work!
Plus there are other birthdays in July. My husbands is at the beginning of the month and mine is at the end. My cousin and my dad celebrate their birthdays the same week I do so it’s just a big, fun summer month! So in order to celebrate, I’m going to be bringing you a collection of Christmas recipes, homemade Christmas gifts, and Christmas crafts over the next 3 weeks, ending with a fabulous round up of recipes and crafts as well as a Christmas giveaway! I figure most people procrastinate so I should really help everyone out by getting you thinking about the holidays.
Also, some of these crafts and homemade gifts are easy to make in advance so you don’t have to cram everything into December which is a crazy busy time! I often start making homemade jams and jellies in the summer so that I have them to give as gifts in the winter. People love to receive them and I enjoy making them.
My first post for Christmas in July is a cookie recipe. Surprised? I didn’t think so. Whenever I think Christmas my brain immediately goes to cookies so I thought it only appropriate that I start the week off with an easy but delicious cookie recipe. It’s a basic cookie dough mixed with red and white M&M’s and white chocolate chips. The secret is in the M&M’s. They are actually white chocolate peppermint M&M’s which give the cookies a peppermint and chocolate flavor which is awesome around the holidays!
- 2½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. red and white M&M's (preferably the white chocolate peppermint ones)
- 1 c. white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until a dough forms
- Fold in the M & M's and white chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping teaspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely.