Fall is quickly approaching and the temperatures are cooling down. I’m starting to look for warmer foods to eat in the cooler temperatures. Even our CSA is having more and more fall foods in it. This week we received a bunch of pesto, a bunch of parsley, 2 huge tomatoes, 1 onion, a basket of broccoli, a basket of small green peppers, a squash, and a head of lettuce
I still had some tomatoes left over from last week that I needed to use so I wanted to make sauce for spaghetti. My first thought was a roasted garlic sauce then I decided to just roast all the veggies to give it a great flavor. I roasted the tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and garlic in the oven. Then I chopped the pesto and parsley and put it in the sauce once it came out
I did have to add a little tomato sauce and paste to the vegetables but otherwise it was mostly as CSA made sauce. The roasted vegetables really made a difference in the flavor of the sauce. I added a little seasoning and it was ready to go! Notice that my sauce is orange in color. That’s because I used both red and yellow tomatoes. You can use whatever you have on hand. You could also roast additional vegetables to go in the sauce.
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper (or 3 small)
- 1 large onion
- 1 bulb garlic (or 6 cloves)
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- ½ c. fresh herbs, chopped (I used parsley, basil, and oregano)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tomatoes into 4 wedges, removing the core as well as any problem areas. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish, cut side down.
- Cut the green pepper into large chunks and place in the baking dish. Cut the onion into wedges and place in the baking dish. Peel the garlic cloves and smash, then place in the baking dish.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir vegetables then place then back in the oven to cook for 30 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Place the roasted vegetables in a food processor and process until mostly smooth.
- Pour the roasted vegetables into a large saucepan over medium low heat. Add in the herbs, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir well and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add 1-1½ cups of water to the sauce, depending on how thick you want it. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.