In case you haven't noticed I've been on a 30 minute meal kick! I wouldn't have thought myself to be a 30 minute meal kind of person but it makes my evenings so much easier. Only being in the kitchen for 30 minutes allows me to enjoy the rest of the evening with my husband.
In most chicken cacciatore recipes have the chicken braising for over in hour in delicious sauce. This recipe cuts that time down to 15 minutes. I was a little suspect about the time different but I'll be honest, this recipe was just as good.
It starts by browning the chicken. Then the vegetables are added to the skillet and cooked with the wine. I think the wine helps to add a nice depth of flavor to this dish even though it only cooks for a short period of time.
Then the tomatoes are added in, the chicken goes back in, and that's it! It cooks while you prepare something to go along with the chicken dish. I chose to make couscous to go underneath the chicken but you could make rice or quinoa just as easily. I also served it up with a green salad.
My entire dish start to finish took 30 minutes. It was warm, tasty, and delicious. I call this comfort food because of all of those elements. Give it a try the next time you need an easy 30 minute meal!
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast halves (about 4)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ½ c. dry red wine
- ¼ c. fresh oregano or basil
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Rub the oil mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add the chicken to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side, just to get it browned. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the skill along with onion, bell peppers, and mushroom. Saute for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the oregano or basil, crushed tomatoes, and red pepper. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the pan, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.