As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I am a huge fan of chicken pot pie. I never used to be but in the past few years I’ve really started to enjoy them. When I was pregnant with J I made two and froze them to eat when he was a newborn and I’m pretty sure that was my favorite meal in the first month of his life. A hearty, comforting dish is always welcome when you are having a rough time.
While I totally love the recipe I used for making those chicken pot pies it took a lot of work and there was a lot of added fat and calories from the top and bottom crusts. That’s one of my main issues with pot pies. There’s just so many added calories because of the crust but I hate to not have them because they are one of my favorite parts!
When I saw this recipe for Skillet Chicken Pot Pies that didn’t use any pie crust I was seriously intrigued. The original recipe called for four individual casserole dishes to be used which would be great if we were having company but I just used one big pan since it was just the three of us. Instead of using a pie crust or two the recipe used puff pastry which I thought was a really great idea.
It was easy to whip up the filling for these chicken pot pies. It’s basically chicken, celery, onions, some frozen veggies, heavy cream, and chicken broth. I was able to have it ready in around 20 minutes. Then I poured it into a casserole dish and topped it off with the puff pastry and baked it! I loved how easy this recipe was.
I was a little concerned when we went to eat it but it ended up being delicious. The puff pastry is so flaky and buttery and goes really well with the creamy chicken pot pie filling. The filling was rich and delicious and filled with chicken and vegetables. It was hearty, comforting, and pretty east to make. I’ll definitely be making it again!
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1/2 c. onions, chopped
- 2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add in the celery and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables, rosemary, garlic, and black pepper to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and the cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ina small bowl whisk together the water and flour until smooth.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the pot with the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the chicken pot pie mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish and cover with the puff pastry. Brush with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted fromA Kitchen Hoor's Adventures