Delicious double berry muffins have a nice tang from sourdough and are filled with blueberries and blackberries that make for a hearty breakfast muffin.
I’ve been loving baking with my sourdough starter. I don’t know why I didn’t start one years ago! It’s so fun finding different recipes to use the sourdough discard and to have a fresh loaf of bread every week from my very own starter.
Today I’m sharing Sourdough Berry Muffins. These muffins use a cup of sourdough discard which is from a fed starter. You can use any type of berries you want. I chose to use blueberries and blackberries because that is what I had on hand. You need one cup of berries and can use either one berry or multiple types of berries as long as they equal one cup.
Then on top goes a sweet and tasty crumble. I chose to add cinnamon to my topping but you can leave it out or you can use different spices like ginger or nutmeg in the crumble. You could also choose to add oats to your topping if you want an added crunch.
These muffins ended up rising just above the muffin tins and smelled delicious. I was expecting more of a tang and while you could tell there was something different about them they were not decidedly sourdough. We enjoyed the muffins with a cup of coffee both for breakfast and as an after dinner snack. I can’t wait to try them again with a different berry!
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- The topping adds a bit of sweetness to the muffins which are not overly sweet. If you prefer a sweeter muffin you can use a half cup of sugar instead of a quarter cup of sugar.
- Add in 1/4 cup of oats to the topping mixture if you would like a chewier and crunchier topping.
- Fruits that can be used in these muffins include strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, peaches, or apples.
Recipe adapted from The Spiffy Cookie As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the muffins:
For the topping:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 2425mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Recipe adapted from The Spiffy Cookie
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wednesday Berry Week Recipes
- Berry Pretzel Dessert by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Berry Sourdough Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blackberry Glazed Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry and Cream Breakfast Pastry by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Berry Sangria by Family Around the Table
- Oven Baked Ribs with Blackberry Sauce by Eat Move Make
- Raspberry Danish Pinwheels by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Raspberry Peach Jam by The Redhead Baker
- Strawberry Spinach Salad Pizza by The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry, Bacon & Brie Panini with Balsamic Honey Sauce by Sweet Beginnings