As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
A few months back I made a recipe for spinach lasagna roll ups that had cream cheese, spinach, and red peppers in them that were topped with a white sauce. While they were totally delicious, the calorie and fat counts were out of control. I wanted to get the same basic flavor but with less calories and fat.
The first change I wanted to make was to go from a white sauce to a red sauce. Then I used low fat ricotta cheese and part skim mozzarella cheese. This cut the fat in half and the calories by a third. I have to say that this version was full of flavor and even better then the first ones I made. The red sauce looks so tasty over top of the white and green filling.
These are great for feeding people at a dinner party because there isn’t the mess that I normally have when I serve lasagna. Each person can have several rolls and they are easy to put on a plate. I also thought that if they were sliced into 3 pieces they could be served as appetizers stuck on a toothpick.
Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups (a Hezzi-D original)
10 lasagna noodles
1 1/2 c. low fat ricotta cheese
2 c. part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. black pepper
1 t. Italian seasoning
10 oz. frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
3 c. marinara sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package direction. Drain in a colander and immediately lay out on waxed paper.
3. In a large bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 1 1/3 c. mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and spinach. Mix well.
4. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling on each lasagna noodle. Spread it out leaving 1 inch on each end without filling. Roll the lasagna noodle starting at one end.
4. Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan. Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the dish. Pour remaining marinara over top of the rolls. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbling. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy.