Today’s post is sponsored by Barlean's, Hamilton Beach, and Rhodes Bread as well as Crispy Green, The Spice House, and PackIt. However, all opinions are my own. #ad #Back2School
While it pains me to say it, I go back to school next week. I feel like this summer has flown by! We've had a lot of fun and the older J gets the more fun summers are. I think back to last summer where we didn't go outside except for maybe 30 minutes a day because we took him for a walk in the stroller. This year we are outside for hours either playing in the yard, going to the park, or swimming. What a difference a year has made!
But now I'm thinking about going back to school. I also have to think about J going to school several days a week as well. This means there are two of us that will need lunches on that day. I wanted to come up with something that both of us could eat either as part of our lunches or as an after school snack. The thing that I kept coming up with was pudding.
I didn't want to just make some pudding and call it a day. I wanted to make something that was fun and maybe give it a little flavor. Since it's still summer time I made these super fun Sun and Sand Pudding Cups. The sun part comes from two types of pudding while the sand comes from graham cracker crumbs. Layered together it makes a wonderful snack.
For the pudding layer I simply used instant vanilla pudding. I cut down on the amount of milk then divided it into two bowls. In one bowl I simply left it vanilla flavored but dyed it with yellow food coloring. In the other bowl I used Barlean's Seriously Delicious Omega Pals to give it a tangerine flavor. Barlean's Omega Pals are safe for kids ages 1 and up so perfect for school ages kids. It contains fish oil which gives 500mg Omega-3 EPA & DHA per serving and does not taste fishy at all! I think it gave the pudding a great flavor and added a pretty orange color.
The sand layer is just crushed graham crackers so once I had everything ready to go I just layered it in a glass. I thought the yellow and orange putting made it look like a sunrise or sunset. While I put them in glasses because we were eating these at home I would put them in small half pin mason jars or a small plastic container for taking them with us to school.
- 1 package (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2¼ c. milk
- 1 T. Barlean's Omega Pals in tangerine
- 3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 c. crushed graham crackers
- gummy fish or mermaid tails (optional)
- In a large bowl whisk together the vanilla pudding mix and the milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Divide the pudding into two bowls.
- Add the tangerine Omega Pals to one bowl and the yellow food coloring to the other. Mix well.
- Gather 4 containers. Place 1-2 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of the containers. Spoon in one color of pudding, another 1-2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, the other color of pudding, then another 1-2 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs. Repeat if desired to fill your container.
- Add gummy fish or mermaid tails if desired.