I am a cookie lover. I'd take a good cookie over cake, ice cream, cupcakes, or just about any other dessert. Now I'm picky about my cookies. I do not like hard, crispy cookies. My favorite cookies are firm on the edges and melt in your mouth soft in the middle. I also like cookies that are just a bit crispy on the edges but soft in the center.
So I make a lot of cookies. I actually bake a lot of sugar cookies and decorate them as a side job. People seem to buy up a lot of my vegan and gluten free sugar cookies. However, I'm not talking about sugar cookies as I could take or leave them. I want a delicious cookie filled with chocolate or caramel or some other filling.
I knew these Toffee Cookie Bars were going to be good before I even made them. With a sugar cookie crust topped off with a gooey caramel filling and then sprinkled with chocolate and toffee bits how could it not be a winner? I was excited to make them.
These cookie bars take three trips in the oven but are super easy to make. There are only 2 or 3 ingredients per layer so it's a simple cookie recipe. After everything was baked I cooled them completely then cut them into bars.
The Toffee Cookie Bars were out of control delicious! The buttery sugar cookie base was wonderful with the gooey caramel layer and the chocolate toffee topping was outrageously good. These bars are sweet but man did I enjoy them. They would be perfect at picnic or gathering!
Toffee Cookie Bars
A delicious sugar cookie base topped with a gooey caramel layer and sprinkled with chocolate and toffee bits.
For the cookie crust:
- ¾ c. butter (1 ½ sticks of butter)
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- 1 ½ c. flour
For the caramel layer:
- 10 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add in the flour and mix well.
- Press the cookie crust into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cookie begins to brown. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, pour the sweetened condensed milk and butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the salt.
- Pour the milk mixture over top of the baked cookie crust and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the layer is set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over top. Bake for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and smooth the melted chocolate chips over top of the cookie bars. Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack. If the chocolate isn't hardening, refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Recipe slightly adapted from Mom's Pantry Kitchen
Jersey Girl Cooks
Toffee is my weakness. These look great!
These look so delicious! I love toffee and can't wait to try them!
I love toffee and these sound incredible!!!
These would be gone in a flash at our house! Toffee / caramel is irresistible!
I am not much of a sweet eater, except when you are talking caramel. Love these, Heather!
There they are! Now those look like the kind of toffee bars I love (although I love shortbread too). Best tactic: bake both!
How cool that you have a cookie decorating business! I love sugar cookies, but I would happily take a couple of these as well.
They do indeed sound delicious!