The holidays are quickly approaching and I know many people are scrambling for last minute gifts. While I have all of the gifts I need to purchase already bought and wrapped every year I like to give homemade gifts as well. I usually try to have a theme with my homemade gifts and this year my theme is relaxing at the holidays.
So what will I be including in my relaxing at the holidays gift packages? I'll be including hot cocoa mix with homemade marshmallow for people to enjoy in front of a fire. I'll also be including pancake mix for a quick breakfast so that everyone can relax afterwards. The last thing in the package will be my homemade Winter Holiday Sugar Scrub.
Sugar Scrubs are great in the winter because skin gets so dried and cracked. Sugar scrubs can help to remove the dry skin and even give it some extra moisture. The best part about making a sugar scrub is that it is so easy!
All I needed for the sugar scrubs was sugar, extracts or essential oils, and Barlean's Culinary Coconut Oil. I like using Barlean's Culinary Coconut Oil because the scent of coconut has been removed from it. While I love the scent of coconut in the summer it doesn't really go well with a Winter Holiday Sugar Scrub.
What makes it a Winter Holiday Sugar Scrub? I used vanilla and cinnamon to scent the sugar scrub and it smells exactly like the holidays. It only took a few minutes to mix up the sugar scrub with the sugar and coconut oil and then I divided it into two bowls and scented one with vanilla extract and the other with cinnamon essential oil. I also put red food coloring in the one with cinnamon so that there were two distinct colors.
I then layered the two types of sugar in a mason jar, put the lid on, and wrote instructions on the jar. It turned out to be really pretty, didn't cost very much, and is a great holiday gift in the winter. I can't wait to give the sugar scrubs to my family!
- 4 c. sugar
- ½ c. Barlean's Culinary Coconut Oil
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. cinnamon essential oil
- 1 t. red food coloring
- 4 half pint mason jars
- Pour the sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl place the coconut oil and heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until melted.
- Add the coconut oil to the sugar and mix until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Divide the sugar into two bowls. Add the vanilla extract to one and mix well.
- Add the cinnamon essential oil and red food coloring to the other bowl and mix well.
- Layer the sugars in the mason jars placing ¼ cup of vanilla sugar scrub followed by ¼ cup of cinnamon sugar scrub, then repeating both layer.
- Attach a label saying "Winter Holiday Sugar Scrub" and directions saying, "Use 1 tablespoon of sugar scrub in the shower as needed. Scrub skin with the mixture and rinse well to leave your skin feeling silky smooth."
This post is sponsored by Barlean's but all opinions are 100% my own.