When I think about Christmas cookies one of the first cookies I think of are Gingerbread cookies. There is nothing quite like the smell of fresh gingerbread baking in the oven during the holidays. This month the Creative Cookie Exchange is sharing our favorite Ginger Cookies!
I didn’t want to do traditional Gingerbread Cookies cut out like people so I went in search of something a little different. I’ve been doing a lot more specialty baking for people including gluten free, dairy free, and vegan baking. So when I found a vegan ginger cookie recipe I couldn’t wait to try it. The best part is that in addition to a lot of ginger it also has cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg in it. This makes for an amazing smelling cookie that is perfectly spiced for the holidays.
I wanted to make them a little fancy so I could put them on a holiday platter so instead of simply rolling the cookies in sugar, I rolled them in silver and gold sprinkles. I absolutely love the way the metallic sprinkles catch the light and make the cookies seem to glitter. They will make a great addition to my holiday cookie platters.
The ginger cookies are crisp on the edges but soft and chewy in the middle. Most of the gingerbread cookies I make are a little harder but I really like the chewy middles of these cookies. The spices all come through beautifully and the coconut oil adds a subtle flavor as well.
Adapted from Power Hungry
Adapted from Power Hungry
The theme this month is Ginger! Dried and ground, candied, fresh–if you like ginger in your cookies you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Ginger Curry Sugar Cookies from The Spiced Life
- Favourite Gingerbread Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Vegan Ginger Cookies with Cardamom from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Ginger Chocolate Ninja Cookies from NinjaBaking
- Ginger Lemon Sandwich Cookies from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Buttery Ginger Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepparkakor– Swedish Ginger Cookies from A Baker’s House
- Oat, Orange and Ginger Crisps from Made with Love
- Séches aux Gingembre from Food Lust People Love
- Ginger Sour Cream Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Ginger Molasses Cutout Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Chewy Ginger Cookies from Spiceroots
- Chocolate – Ginger Chewies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Orange Ginger Cookies from Indian Curries/stew
- Refrigerator Ginger Cookies from DessertStalking Blog