In the summer I prefer to sip on a beverage that has a little bit of sweetness to it. I often choose flavored iced teas, sparkling water, or sangria. They are all refreshing and I like to play around with the flavors to make them suit my mood.
One beverage I rarely drink is a martini. The reason being that it is mostly made of alcohol so they are very strong and often they are not sweet at all. The only alcoholic beverage I can drink that doesn’t have some sweetness to it is wine. Everything else needs to have at least a touch of sugar in it.
However, today is National Martini Day so I decided to give it a shot. I wanted to make a fruity martini so that the sweetness was there and so that the vodka wasn’t overpowering. After trying several different flavor combinations the one I liked best for summer is this Watermelon Guava Martini.
Doesn’t the name just sound fruity and fun? It’s also a really pretty pink color so it’s prefect for brunch, happy hour, or even book club. While it is fruity and has some sweetness you can definitely still taste the vodka, it just isn’t overbearing.
I used a watermelon flavored drink as the base for this cocktail. If you can’t find plain watermelon (I had a hard time) you can get watermelon paired with something else or you could simply blend and strain fresh watermelon. Either way it adds a light flavor and some sweetness. The guava syrup adds more sweetness and flavor to it. I used plain vodka but I do think that some type of tropical flavored vodka would be really tasty in this martini as well.
- 2 oz. watermelon flavored drink
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. Guava syrup
- Pink Sugar for the rim (optional)
- Dip the rim of a martini glass into the guava syrup and roll it around in the pink sugar to coat the rim. Set aside.
- In a shaker filled with ice combine the watermelon drink, vodka, and guava syrup. Shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain into the martini glass and enjoy!
Check out these other fun martini recipes for #NationalMartiniDay:
- Bikini Martini from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! Martini from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Classic Cosmo from Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Lemon Drop from Our Good Life
- Coconut Ciroc Martini from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Coconut Orange Mango Martini from Daily Dish Recipes
- Creamy Chocolate Martini from Sweet Beginnings
- The Dirty Martini from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- French Martini from Food Above Gold
- Hawaiian Martini from Family Around the Table
- Strawberry Lemonade Martini from Palatable Pastime
- Tamarillo-tini from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Watermelon Guava Martini from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks