Zucchini is growing like crazy. Everyone at the farmer's market is selling it and it's popping up in gardens all over the place. I like zucchini but I don't know many ways to prepare it. I usually just saute it on the stove and grill it with some meat for kabobs.
I'm always trying to find new and exciting ways to enjoy zucchini. It doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own so it soaks up any flavor you add to it. Since it's summer I wanted to find some way to make the zucchini out on the grill so it would get that smokey flavor.
I found a recipe for a foil packet. I'm no stranger to foil packets and I find that they are an easy way to cook on the grill. In fact, we've been making frozen french fries on the grill using the foil packet method. It's also a great way to cook potatoes, other vegetables, or even fish on the grill.
What I liked best about this recipe was that it was simple but sounded really good. Basically it's butter flavored with seasonings and Parmesan cheese then placed on the grill. The butter melts while it's on the grill and flavors the zucchini while the Parmesan cheese melts and sticks to the zucchini.
I had some yellow squash in the refrigerator as well so I tossed that in with the zucchini and had my husband throw the packet on the grill. It smelled amazing when he brought it inside. The zucchini and squash was perfectly steamed and was flavored with butter, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. It was a really delicious side dish and my husband and I both had seconds!
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into ½ inch round
- ¼ c. butter, softened
- ¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl combine the butter, Parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Tear off two pieces of foil, about 18 inches long. Center the zucchini and squash in the middle of the foil.
- Spread the butter mixture all over top of the zucchini and squash. Fold up the sides of the foil leaving an inch or two vent in the top.
- Place the foil packet on the grill and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious