Every week we have a pizza night. Most weeks we simply have pizza with cheese, pepperoni, and some peppers. Every once in a while we mix it up and will have chicken, sausage, or a vegetable pizza. We both love pizza but sometimes regular pizza with red sauce gets boring. I've been seeing some very creative pizzas lately and finally got to try one of them.
I chose to make a Greek pizza. I loved the idea that the pizza is made from pitas and the sauce is a spoonful of hummus. The toppings are sun dried tomatoes, olives, and red onions. Then feta and mozzarella cheeses are sprinkled on top. These pizzas were awesome! The pita crust was crispy and the toppings were drizzled with vinegar, olive oil, and oregano. It was a very different, but tasty pizza.
Greek Pita Pizzas (adapted from Prevention RD)
1 T. olive oil
4 pita breads
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 small red onion, halved and sliced thin
6 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
1/2 c. roasted red pepper hummus
1/2 part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 T. crumbled feta cheese
For the Tzatziki:
1/2 c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
3 T. cucumber, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 t. white vinegar
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. black pepper
1 t. salt
1. Mix together all the ingredients for the tzatziki. Refrigerate until ready to
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray both sides of pitas with olive oil. Arrange
them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and garlic.
Mix in the salt and pepper. Toss with the olives, onions, and sun dried tomatoes.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of the hummus over each pita. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella.
5. Divide the vegetable mixture
evenly over the cheese and then sprinkle with the feta.
6. Cook the pizzas for 6 minutes. Remove from the over and serve with tzatziki sauce.
This post linked to :
Tasty Thursdays, Fantastic Thursdays, Full Plate Thursday, It's A Keeper Thursday, Tastetastic Thursdays,