As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Greek side dish takes couscous and mixes it with sun dried tomatoes, red onions, olives, cucumbers, and feta cheese all mixed with a light dressing for a delicious cold salad. This post originally published August 16, 2012.
Couscous is a wonderful side dish. It has a great texture and it absorbs any flavor that it’s mixed with. Generally I just add some garlic and olive oil to it but on occasion I’ve used it to make a cold salad. With summer coming up I’m trying to find more cold salad side dishes.
I feel like most people go with potato salad, pasta salad, or macaroni salad in the summer so it’s nice to have a different option. This is one of those salads I make on a Sunday then we eat throughout the week but it’s also a great choice to take to picnics and summer parties. It’s made with a vinaigrette dressing instead of mayonnaise so it’s able to with stand the summer heat better then tradition cold salads.
This Greek couscous salad is a great side dish option. I like to make mine with sun dried tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and red onions but you could also add roasted red peppers, fresh tomatoes, or regular onions. Then I top it with a fresh dressing made with vinegar, lemon, and spices.
One thing to note about this dish is that the couscous absorbs the dressing so it can become dry. I find that making a second portion of the dressing and serving it on the side is helpful so that others can pour on additional dressing as needed.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- I like to wait until right before serving to add in the feta cheese.
- Fresh dill and fresh mint are great additions to the dressing if you have them.
- Switch out the veggies as you like. I add in the ones my family eats but you can easily substitute any veggies that suit your family.
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. dry couscous
- 1 1/2 T. olive oil
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 c. sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 3 T. olives, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. Set aside.
- Put the tomato, cucumber, onion, and olives in a medium bowl. Toss with the dressing.
- Stir the couscous into the vegetable mixture. Add in the salt, pepper, feta cheese and gently stir to combine.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 558mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g