This Greek side dish takes couscous and mixes it with sun dried tomatoes, red onions, olives, cucumbers, and feta cheese all mixed with a light dressing for a delicious cold salad. This post originally published August 16, 2012.
Couscous is a wonderful side dish. It has a great texture and it absorbs any flavor that it’s mixed with. Generally I just add some garlic and olive oil to it but on occasion I’ve used it to make a cold salad. With summer coming up I’m trying to find more cold salad side dishes.
I feel like most people go with potato salad, pasta salad, or macaroni salad in the summer so it’s nice to have a different option. This is one of those salads I make on a Sunday then we eat throughout the week but it’s also a great choice to take to picnics and summer parties. It’s made with a vinaigrette dressing instead of mayonnaise so it’s able to with stand the summer heat better then tradition cold salads.
This Greek couscous salad is a great side dish option. I like to make mine with sun dried tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and red onions but you could also add roasted red peppers, fresh tomatoes, or regular onions. Then I top it with a fresh dressing made with vinegar, lemon, and spices.
One thing to note about this dish is that the couscous absorbs the dressing so it can become dry. I find that making a second portion of the dressing and serving it on the side is helpful so that others can pour on additional dressing as needed.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- I like to wait until right before serving to add in the feta cheese.
- Fresh dill and fresh mint are great additions to the dressing if you have them.
- Switch out the veggies as you like. I add in the ones my family eats but you can easily substitute any veggies that suit your family.
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. dry couscous
- 1 1/2 T. olive oil
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 c. sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 3 T. olives, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. Set aside.
- Put the tomato, cucumber, onion, and olives in a medium bowl. Toss with the dressing.
- Stir the couscous into the vegetable mixture. Add in the salt, pepper, feta cheese and gently stir to combine.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 558mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g