Have I talked about what a food wasteland I live in? Coming from Pittsburgh and moving to the tiny little town where I now live was like culture shock for the first year. For years I could have any kind of food I wanted at any time and I rarely had to go to chain restaurants unless I wanted too. Now all we basically have is a strip of chain restaurants and fast food places. I think all together we visit 4 restaurants within a 25 mile radius and hardly any of them are ethnic food.
Some of the foods I miss the most are Thai and Greek or Mediterranean. We aren’t short on Asian or Mexican places but we don’t have any Thai or Greek restaurants so I spend a lot of time trying to make these things myself. One of my favorite things about Greek cuisine is feta cheese and tzatziki sauce. They totally make the meal.
I do have a few great Mediterranean dishes on my blog such as Greek Pita Pizzas, Lamb Burgers, and a really good Greek Salad. However, I still feel like I’m missing out on some of that foods so when I saw a recipe for Greek Chicken Salad with Yogurt Ranch Dressing I couldn’t wait to try it. The yogurt Ranch dressing sounded like a version of tzatziki sauce and it wasn’t far off.
While you can use rotisserie chicken for this dish I chose to make my own chicken breasts because it’s what I had on hand and I didn’t have time to run out and get a chicken. The chicken salad is made with chicken, a fresh herb yogurt Ranch sauce, cucumbers, feta, red onions, and lettuce. All of this is served in a pita but you could serve it on leaf lettuce as a lettuce wrap.
The flavors in this dish are really good. The feta is actually in the dressing so you don’t need to add any additional on top. We topped our pitas with olives and pepperoncinis but I think roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes would be really yummy as well. This is a great main dish for summertime and it would be easy to take and assemble at a picnic or party.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- ½ c. mixed fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used parsley, dill, and cilantro)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. oregano
- 1 t. za’atar
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 1 c. feta, crumbled
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 c. Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Sliced pepperoncini
- Pitted Kalamata olives
- 8 pitas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine the Greek yogurt, herbs, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, garlic cloves, oregano, za’ater, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the cucumber, feta, and red onion. Mix well.
- Add in the chicken and mix until combined.
- To serve fill a pita with the chicken mixture and top with lettuce, pepperoncini, and olives.
Leave a Reply