This year our cookie swap partnered with OXO’s Cookie’s for Kids’ Cancer. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer was founded by two OXOnians (OXO employees) inspired by their 2-year old son’s battle with cancer. It provides inspiration, ideas and support for people everywhere to help fight pediatric cancer – through the simple concept of local bake sales. OXO is matching any donations we make to their cause!
When thinking about what cookie to make I went to a magazine I received last Christmas on food gifts. I found just what I was looking for in the red velvet shortbread cookies. The cookies are simple to make. The dough is formed, rolled out, and cut into circles. After they are baked the edges are dipped in white chocolate and rolled in nonpareils. I made half of them this way but because I really liked the way the chocolate tasted on these cookies I started dipping half the cookie in the white chocolate then rolling in the nonpareils.
The flavor of the cookies was a light chocolate and it worked so well with the white chocolate. The nonpareils gave the cookies a festival coloring as well as texture. All in all these cookies were really pretty and taste great too.
Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Food Magazine 2011)
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. butter, cut up and softened
1 t. vanilla
1 T. Americolor red gel paste
6 oz. white chocolate
1 t. shortening
red, green, and white nonpareils
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix in the butter and vanilla. Stir until it just begins to come together.
3. Add in the egg and red food coloring and mix until well combined.
4. On a lightly floured surface knead the dough lightly until it is smooth.
5. Roll the dough into 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out the dough. Place the cookie circles on a cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Press the scraps together, reroll, and cut out the remaining cookies.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
7. Heat the white chocolate and shortening in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals until smooth. Roll the edges of the cookies in the chocolate and then roll in the nonpareils. Let stand until set.