Welcome to Day #2 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
Whenever I’m having a party I like to make a lot of appetizers and desserts to serve. It’s nice to make a lot of bite sized appetizers so people can try a little bit of everything. Sometimes it gets a little overwhelming once I start cooking and I like to make things that are simple and easy to make. Crostini is one of my favorite appetizers because it only takes a few minutes to bake and it serves a lot. It’s also filling and there are so many different combinations to try.
Since I’ve been on a pear kick lately I wanted a crostini with Brie and pears. However, that didn’t seem like enough of a topping so I went through my refrigerator and came up with a few onions. Thinking that caramelized onions would add a lovely brown color to the crostini as well as sweeten it up, I did just that!
These crostini are just about perfect. The bread gets nice a crispy in the oven and the cheese melts over top of the sliced bread. Then the flavorful caramelized onions are piled on top and it’s topped off with a few slices of fresh pear which adds both color and flavor. These are sure to be a winner at any party!
Crostini with Pears, Caramelized Onions, and Brie (a Hezzi-D original)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 T. butter
1/2 t. salt
1-2 t. sugar
1 french baguette
3 oz. brie
1 pear, thinly sliced
1 t. olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium sized skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the onions, salt, and sugar and stir occasionally for 20 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized.
3. Meanwhile, slice the baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices. I cut mine into about 24 pieces. Place on a baking sheet. Slice the brie into 24 thin slices and spread on top of each baguette piece. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
4. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add in the pears and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Remove from heat.
5. Top each baguette slice with a few caramelized onions then 2 slices of pear. Do this for each baguette. Serve warm.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Peeps for more Munchie Causing Goodness:
- Pizza Dip by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Steak and Potato Bites by Kiss My Smoke
- Gluten Free Brie en Croute by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Caramelized Onion, Brie, and Pear Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Low-Carb Chicken Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Caramelized Onion Dip by Cooking in Stilettos
- Tuna Bruschetta by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Harvest Sweet Potato Salsa by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Parmesan Chips by Makobi Scribe
- Mini Cheeseburgers by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies by Clarks Condensed
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Bites by From Gate to Plate
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Apricots by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Crock Pot Party Meatballs by My Catholic Kitchen
- Bacon Cheese Popcorn by Life Off the Clock
- Empanada Mini Pies by The NY Melrose Family
- Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Stackers by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Root Beer Chicken Wings by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Swiss Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms by Cookerati
Today’s sponsor is Anolon. They are providing an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel Collection 10-piece set, which includes1.25 Qt. & 2.5 Qt. covered saucepans, 3 Qt. covered saute, 6.5 Qt. covered stockpot, 8″ & 10″ French skillets. This Anolon Set provides has a stunning, high polish finish that would be the class up any kitchen. The set is crafted with a layer of copper on the bottom which provides optimum heat conduction. This Anolon collection is also dishwasher safe. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel cookware is gorgeous and will withstand the test of time.
Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age, or older. Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be contacted via email and has 72 hours to respond before a new winner is drawn. Good luck!