I’m still celebrating my 5th Blogiverary! Today I’m sharing a dessert I made for my brother for his birthday and I’m also giving away another great prize. This time it’s a reader’s gift set. Make sure you check out the end of the post to enter!
My brothers birthday was last month. Every year I ask him what he wants for his birthday and every year I hear the same thing….a cherlimony. Now, I’m not sure this really exists, but it’s supposed to be the turducken of the pie world. It’s a cherry pie, wrapped in a lime pie, wrapped in a lemon pie. Every year I tell him I can’t do it so he picks something else.
This year his choice was inspired by where he was eating. He had the choice between a lemon blueberry dessert and creme brulee. He chose the creme brulee (as I would have as well) but then was craving a lemon blueberry dessert. He asked for a lemon blueberry trifle with an almond cake. I said no problem as a trifle is much easier to make then an actual cake because there is no decorating involved.
I made a light almond cake using almond flour and flavoring. I found many almond cake recipes using just flavoring but decided that wasn’t good enough so I used the almond flour as well which really helped out. In between the cake bites I layered homemade lemon curd and a light lemon whipped frosting. Then I decorated with blueberries.
It was a fairly simple trifle to make but it was bursting with flavor. Between the light almond cake, the vibrant lemon curd, the fluffy lemon whipped frosting, and the blueberries, it was quite the trifle. Lots of sweet and tart mixed together with the sugary cake. It was really a taste of summer and my brother enjoyed it which is what really counts.
- 1 c. butter
- 1½ c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. almond flour
- ½ t. salt
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- 1 t. almond extract
- 5 egg whites (reserve yolks for lemon curd)
- 1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed on a counter for 30 minutes
- 1-2 c. powdered sugar
- 3 T. lemon curd
- 2 c. blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9 inch cake pans with cooking spray and place a circle of parchment paper on the bottoms. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, almond flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Add in half the milk and stir to combine. Mix in ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix well. Add in remaining milk and mix to combine. Stir in remaining flour and mix until incorporated. Stir in the almond extract and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a large, chilled bowl along with 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack.
- To make the whipped frosting place the whipped topping, 1 cup powdered sugar, and lemon curd in a bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until combined. Add additional powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- Cut the cakes into 1 inch cubes.
- To make the trifle place a layer of cake cubes in the bottom of a glass trifle bowl or glass bowl. Place ⅓ of the lemon curd on top of the cake cubes, then sprinkle with ½ cup of blueberries. Layer ⅓ of the whipped frosting over top. Repeat the layers one more time.
- On the final layer, place the cake cubes in a single layer. Spread the remaining whipped topping on top of the cake cubes, putting large dollops around the edge if desired. Place a blueberry on top of each dollop. Then decorate with lemon curd dots as desired.
- Place the trifle in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Today I’m giving away a reader’s gift set to one lucky reader in the United States (sorry international readers!). The giveaway will run from August 3, 2015 until midnight August 7, 2015.
Included in the reader’s gift set is:
- The Last Book Ever Written by Victor Vale
- 1st To Die by James Patterson
- 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes by Julie Hasson
- 1 bag Cafe Amani Fair Trade Coffee
- 1 hand carved wooden coffee scoop
- 1 container London Cuppa (loose tea)
- $15.00 Amazon Gift card so you can buy your favorite book!