As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I’m a big fan of macaroni salad but I’m picky about it. I don’t like a ton of mayonnaise in my macaroni salad. I like to have some mustard flavor in it. However, I do like there to be some mayonnaise in it.
My current favorite is the Amish Macaroni Salad from Martin’s. It’s my local food market and they make it fresh daily. While I really enjoy it, it’s a tad too sweet as most Amish Macaroni Salads are. I do find that it has the perfect amount of mustard and mayonnaise in it and there’s also fresh, crunchy vegetables in it too.
So I went looking for an Amish Macaroni Salad recipe that I could tweak to my liking. There’s a lot of them out there so I picked the one that looked the best to me. I liked that this recipe had fresh carrots, peppers, onions, and celery in it. They add color and crunch to the recipe.
I whipped up a batch on Sunday so I could take it in my lunch all week long. It’s great as a side dish to sandwiches, pizza, or even chicken. It keeps for about 5 days so it’s nice that a big batch lasts all week.
This macaroni salad has a tang from the mayonnaise and a bit of a bite from the mustard. I used a combination of yellow mustard and brown mustard. It has just a hint of sugar in it. The original recipe had a half cup of sugar in it but I only added a few tablespoons and it was perfect. In any case, I think both my husband and I agree this is the best macaroni salad I’ve made.
- 12 oz. macaroni noodles
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon relish or minced pickles
- 3 Tablespoons mustard (I used half brown mustard and half yellow mustard)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and run under cold water.
- Place the pasta, eggs, peppers, onion, celery, and carrots in a large bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over top of the pasta mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Sweet Little Bluebird