My parents have a wonderful vegetable garden at their house and are always growing more then they can eat. Unfortunately, we live two and a half hours away and don’t get to see them more then once a month. We got to see them this past weekend and when we came home it was with a grocery bag filled with cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, and green beans.
I easily used up the cucumbers to make my husband’s favorite cucumber onion salad. The tomatoes I use to make marinara sauce. I was looking for something easy but tasty to make out of the zucchini. My husband suggested fried zucchini. I remembered seeing a recipe for baked zucchini sticks HERE and decided to make them.
I tried baking the zucchini and they were much bette then expected! The zucchini came out crisp and golden brown. The red pepper adds a nice kick to the traditional fried zucchini. I ate mine with marinara sauce and hubby had his with ranch dressing. My husband enjoyed the baked zucchini sticks so much that he asked me to make them again the next day!
Baked Parmesan Zucchini Sticks
½ c. flour
½ t. salt
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. fresh ground black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
½ c. Italian breadcrumbs
½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
½ t. red pepper
1 large zucchini (or 2 small) cut into ½ inch sticks
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a shallow dish combine flour, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
3. In a second shallow dish beat 2 eggs.
4. In a third dish combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper.
5. Dip each zucchini stick into the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip into the egg mixture, letting excess egg run off. Roll in the breadcrumb mixture, coating the entire stick.
6. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray all the zucchini sticks with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
7. Serve with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing.