I'm all for an easy weeknight meal that tastes great but requires little prep work. I'm tired when I get home from school and don't want to spend all night in the kitchen cooking so it's important I can make something that we'll enjoy but that doesn't take to long. This Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Chicken Bake is the perfect weeknight meal.
I like making this dish because it only uses a handful of ingredients so it's easy to get everything out and ready to go. It's also a favorite because everything is layered in a pan, baked, and is on the table in 45 minutes or less with little hands on time. We also like it because it tastes great.
Since it has both chicken and broccoli in it I usually only have to find a starchy side dish to serve with it. I've found that rice is a great dish to pair with it but mashed potatoes would be good too. Another option would be to roast potatoes in the oven along side this chicken bake. Honestly though, rice is so easy and you can put this bake right on top of it so that wins my vote.
So to make this dish you need to cook the bacon and steam the broccoli ahead of time. I use the steamer bags that go in the microwave which makes steaming the broccoli a snap. The bacon can be made the night before or when you are ready to make this dish. Then all you do is layer the chicken, broccoli, bacon, and cheese and put it in the oven. It's that easy!
This bakes tastes great. The cheese melted on top of both the chicken and broccoli and gives it a lot of flavor. The bacon adds a nice crunch and some saltiness to this dinner. All the flavors really meld together while they bake in the oven and it turns into a delicious cheesy meal. Give it try for a simple and tasty weeknight meal!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thin chicken breasts (or 2 thick ones cut in half)
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. broccoli florets, steamed
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ⅓ c. mozzarella cheese
- ¾ c. cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic cloves.
- Place the broccoli over top of the chicken. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over top of the broccoli. Finally, sprinkle everything with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the chicken is cooked to temperature.
Recipe from Julia's Album