Did you know that June 13 is Cupcake Lovers Day? I had no idea but since I am a huge lover of cupcakes I wanted to make a cupcake for this day. Thank you to Valentina from The Baking Fairy for hosting this event! I love cupcakes because they are easy to make, it's fairly easy to make them look pretty with a few sprinkles or decorations, and you can make them in so many different flavors!
I was going to count how many cupcake recipes there are on my blog but I realized it's way too many! I make cupcakes for holidays, for birthdays, and just because I like to make them. That means I've made a variety of flavors with different frostings and decorations. There are just so many options to choose from.
For Cupcake Lovers Day I made Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cupcakes. I've been very into making sweet and spiced recipes lately. One of my favorite coffee drinks is a brown sugar cinnamon latte so I figured why not try it in cupcake form? The results were delicious.
The cupcake gets its flavor from brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla yogurt. I use yogurt in place of half the milk in some recipes because it really brings out the vanilla flavor and gives the cupcakes a good texture. Then I made a simple buttercream frosting and added brown sugar cinnamon syrup to it which made it spiced but sweet. If you don't have this syrup you can simply add cinnamon which will give it a lot of flavor.
To decorate these cupcakes I kept it simple. I used a pretty tip and piped on white frosting then used a light sprinkle of sprinkles on top. I also put a pinch of cinnamon on top as well but you can get as creative (or not) as you want. The decorating is up to you!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- ½ c. vanilla yogurt
- ½ c. milk
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon (or 1 T. brown sugar cinnamon syrup)
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 T. milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in 16 muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add in the eggs and stir until combined.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour half the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add in the yogurt and milk and mix until combined.
- Pour the remaining flour mixture in and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture because the muffin cups filling each ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- To make the frosting beat the butter in a large bowl with a mixer.
- Add in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until the consistency is thick.
- Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla, and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.
Cupcakes for Cupcake Lovers Day!
Hosted by Valentina | The Baking Fairy
Vegan Birthday Cake Oreo Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy
Avocado Cupcakes with Lime Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Brown Cow Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Busy Bee Honey Vanilla Cupcakes by For The Love of Food
Butter Pecan Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
Cheesecake Cupcakes by Walking on Sunshine Recipes
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes by That Recipe
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by The Freshman Cook
Chocolate Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting by Cooking for my Soul
Chocolate Irish Cream Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting by Daily Dish Recipes
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Creamsicle Cupcakes by Red Cottage Chronicles
Gluten Free Rocky Road Cupcakes by Frugal & Fit
Honey Lemon's HoneyBee Cupcakes by Simply Inspired Meals
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting by The Olive Blogger
Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cupcakes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Lost Princess Cupcakes by Seduction in the Kitchen
Orange You Glad Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes by The Beard and The Baker
Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes by Crumb Top Baking
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes by Bowl Me Over
Pudding Pop Cupcakes by Nik Snacks
Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
Strawberry Basil Cupcakes with Chocolate Balsamic Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Strawberry Cupcakes by Confessions of a Baking Queen
Strawberry Jello Cupcakes by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
Sweet Summertime Cupcakes by Cooking with Carlee
Vanilla Bourbon Bacon Cupcakes by Our Good Life
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes by Simple Family Crazy Life
Watermelon Themed Cake & Cupcakes by The Mandatory Mooch
White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes by Triple Chocolate Kitchen