Raise your hand if you have trouble coming up with side dishes and vegetables to pair with your meals. Anyone? I have the worst time with this and it seems like I make the same side dishes and vegetables all the time. I make mashed potatoes, fries, couscous, and macaroni and cheese for side dishes and then I make various roasted vegetables, balsamic green beans, and salads.
I get tired of the same dishes but I never know what to make. It might be because I'm a bit picky when it comes to vegetables but it might also be because there aren't that many different vegetable side dishes. I find whenever I ask people for vegetable dish suggestions I get ones that either have something in them I don't like or they are very similar to what I already make.
So that brings me to this Buttery Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli recipe. It is another roasted roasted vegetable recipe but it has some different flavors in it. As I've said, so many of these recipes are similar so there isn't a whole lot to differentiate between them. This recipe adds in shallots, butter, and chives to the mix.
I love roasted cauliflower and broccoli so I knew I'd like this dish. The shallots add some flavor to the dish while the butter adds richness and saltiness. The chives give the dish some additional flavor. It's a simple but tasty vegetable side dish and one I'll be making again.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Place the cauliflower, broccoli, shallots, and garlic cloves on the jelly roll pan and toss with vegetable oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning once, until browned.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with melted butter. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and chives.
Recipe from Cooking Light, October 2016.