As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Stop buying frozen home fries and make your own with fresh vegetables and spices in less than 30 minutes!
While I don’t normally make a big breakfast I do tend to make breakfast for dinner at least once a month. We always have my old fashioned pancakes, either bacon or sausage, home fries, and fresh fruit. I usually keep a bag of home fries in the freezer but when I went to take them out last week I found out they were all gone.
I had two choices. I could either run to the store and grab a bag or I could try and make them myself. Since I had a five pound bag of potatoes I figured I would try and make them myself.
I took a few of the potatoes out and diced them into half inch cubes. I added some salt and pepper and then sauteed them in olive oil until they started to get tender.
Then I grabbed an onion and a bell pepper out of the crisper and diced them up. I added them to the potatoes along with some seasonings and cooked them until the potatoes were soft on the interior but starting to crisp up on the outside.
I served the home fries with a side of ketchup and man were they delicious! They had so much more flavor then the ones I buy frozen and they were crisp on the exterior but had a soft middle. I’m not sure why I’ve never made them before!
I can tell you one thing, I won’t be buying frozen home fries again. From now on it’s only homemade home fries for me.
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 T. fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the onions and bell pepper to the pan. Sprinkle everything with the paprika and garlic powder.
- Saute everything for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe adapted from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Einspänner (Viennese Coffee with Whipped Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosas by Kate’s Recipe Box
Bread, Grains, and Cereal Recipes
- Biscuit Ebelskiver by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Pecan French Toast Casserole by Love & Confections
- Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins by Family Around the Table
- Homemade Cream Cheese Danish by Big Bears Wife
- Soft Summer Herb Bread Knots by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy and Airy Cheese Soufflé for Two by Making Miracles
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Roll-Ups by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Fruit and Veggie Recipes
Meat, Poultry, and Fish Recipes
- Turkey and Cheese Rollups by The Mandatory Mooch
- Vegan Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Burrito by Happily Curated Chaos