There's nothing better than pulling a hot and fresh soft pretzel out of the oven unless it's one of these Cheddar Garlic Soft Pretzels topped with cheddar cheese and garlic!
Have you ever made soft pretzels at home? If not you are missing out! I've made several different flavors of soft pretzels throughout the years and I've never made one that I haven't enjoyed. The awesome part about these is that you can make them and then freeze them to use later. Simply take them out, pop them in the microwave, and they are ready to enjoy!
This version is for Cheddar Garlic Soft Pretzels. Originally it was a stuffed pretzel recipe but that was way too much work for me so I did an easier version. I made the dough recipe as it was written then put in plenty of chopped garlic.
Once the dough had risen I twisted it into the pretzels. The pretzels are then boiled in water with baking soda. Doing this ensures the chewy crust of the pretzel. I actually had no idea why this was done but it makes sense because it keeps the pretzels from fulling rising which makes the outside chewy and the inside soft.
After boiling the pretzels they are brushed with egg wash and sprinkled with kosher salt. You can stop here if you just want a garlic flavored pretzel. I actually baked the pretzels for 10 minutes this way before adding my toppings.
I made two different types of pretzels. Half of them I topped with cheddar cheese and the other half I topped with jalapenos and cheddar cheese. They both ended up delicious.
The outside of the pretzels were chewy and golden brown. Inside was fluffy and delicious. The cheese was melted and perfect on top. The ones with jalapenos certainly had a kick to them which was really flavorful.
We enjoyed ours for lunch one day because they are so filling. You can even cut the pretzels in half lengthwise and use them as a bun for a sandwich. While we didn't do this with the pretzels this time we have in the past and it's a fun twist on a classic sandwich.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Don't like garlic? Simply remove it from the recipe or switch it out with several tablespoons of fresh herbs.
- Try putting mozzarella cheese and pepperoni on top to make pizza pretzels!
- Make sure you boil the pretzels in the water with baking soda in order to give them a chewy outside. Skipping this step will have them tasting more like rolls than pretzels.
For the dough:
- 1 ½ c. warm water (115-120 degrees)
- 1 package rapid rise or Platinum yeast
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 t. salt
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ¼ c. flour
- 4 T. butter, softened
For the cooking liquid:
- 12 c. water
- ½ c. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 T. water
- 2 T. kosher salt
- ¼ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 T. jalapeno slices
- Combine the water, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Let stand for 10 mintues or until the mixture begins to foam.
- Add in the garlic, flour, and butter and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or 2 smaller baking sheets.
- Place the water and baking soda in a large stock pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 16 inch rope. Make it into a U shape and then cross to make a pretzel shape. Pinch the ends onto the bottom of the dough.
- Place the pretzels, one at a time, into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and water. Brush the egg wash over top of each pretzel. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with cheddar cheese. Place jalapenos on them if desired.
- Bake for an additional 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow pretzels to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them.
Recipe adapted from Baker by Nature
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 6197mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
- Cheddar Garlic Soft Pretzels by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Dijon Mustard by Art of Natural Living
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars by Making Miracles
- Pretzel Croissants by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sheet Pan Pretzel Chicken Dinner by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Sourdough Cheddar Soft Pretzels by That Recipe
- Spicy Jalapeno Pretzel Mix by Palatable Pastime