I try to make a variety of different foods for us throughout the week. Most weeks we have a vegetarian meal, a Mexican meal, an Asian meal, and an Italian meal. I also try to have a variety of beef, pork, chicken, fish, and tofu so we don't get bored of the same things. That means sometimes I have to branch out and have something I wouldn't normally make.
Chicken Stir Fry with Leeks and Salt and Pepper Lettuce is on that list. I don't think I've ever stir fried lettuce before but when I saw the photo and read the description it sounded like it would be pretty tasty. We don't have leeks very often but I do really like to cook with them because they pack a lot of flavor. While those were the only vegetables in this dish I added broccoli and peppers because I thought it needed a little more.
To make this dish you basically stir fry the chicken and vegetables together in a skillet and make a slightly sweet yet tangy sauce to go with it. Once that is done you do a quick stir fry on the lettuce and only use salt, pepper, and sesame oil on it. Once it is cooked you top it with the chicken and vegetables.
The resulting dish was really yummy. I didn't know if I'd like the sauteed lettuce or not but it had a lot of flavor and was still a bit crisp so I thought it was the perfect accompaniment to the chicken and vegetables. The sauce is very basic but has a lot of great flavor. It's sweet from the hoisin but has a little tang from the soy sauce and rice vinegar.
We served it with rice and egg rolls for a complete meal. I also think it would be good over top of lo mein noodles. You can add in different veggies if you would prefer or simply stick with the leeks and lettuce. It's a pretty versatile dish!
- 3 T. oil (I used olive oil but they recommend peanut oil)
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, cut in half lengthwise then cut into ½ inch half moons
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- salt and pepper
- 2 inch piece of garlic, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ c. hoisin sauce
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. beef stock
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into ½ inch strips
- 2 t. sesame oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil then add in the chicken. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until no pink is showing.
- Add in the leeks, pepper, and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hoisin, soy sauce, beef stock, and vinegar. Cook for one minute then transfer to a bowl.
- Add in the remaining tablespoon of oil and add the lettuce. Stir fry for 1 minute or until just wilted.
- Add in the sesame oil and salt and pepper. Stir and remove from heat.
- Place the wilted lettuce on 4 plates and top with the chicken and vegetable mixture.