There are just some side dishes that go with certain seasons. Stuffing is great in late fall or early winter, risotto and roasted vegetables are great for early spring, and macaroni or potato salad is a must for summer. I love making either potato or macaroni salad on a Sunday then enjoying it with lunch or dinner all week long.
It's so nice to make a cold side dish so you don't have to heat up the oven. Potato, pasta, and macaroni salads are great with sandwiches or with grilled food so it's very versatile. I realize I have a ton of different versions on my blog but I think you can never have too many! These are also great dishes to take to BBQ's or picnics all summer long.
This recipe is for Nancy Fuller's Classic Potato Salad. The fact that it comes from Nancy Fuller was funny to me. I only know her from the Baking Championships on Food Network so I think of her as a sweets person. I had no idea she has her own show and that she makes sweet and savory dishes.
This classic potato salad recipe sounded like a winner for summer. It was a simple side dish made with potatoes, celery, onion, bacon, and spices. The dressing was just mayonnaise, sour cream, and mustard. I like that it didn't have a million flavors in it. While I'm all for jazzed up side dishes, sometimes you just want the classic.
Classic Potato Salad did not disappoint. It was tangy and slightly spicy and full of flavor. It had some crunch from the celery and onion but not too much. The bacon added just a hint of saltiness. I love the simple and tasty flavor of this potato salad.
- 2 lb. red potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- ½ c. sour cream
- 3 T. yellow mustard
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 T. paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, finely chopped.
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- Place the potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain the chop into ½ inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs in a large saucepan for 10 minutes. Drain and run under cold water for 2-3 minutes. Peel the eggs and chop.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, celery, parsley, paprika, garlic cloves, and onion. Toss well to coat. Add in the eggs and bacon and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.