As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I love going to the farmer’s market in the summer. It’s one of my favorite things to do. Over the years our farmer’s market has become less produce and more of everything else but it’s still nice to walk around, buy local, and see friends around town. We have 4 different markets in town each on a different day so I like to check out several different ones each week.
One thing that everyone is always waiting on is corn. People line up all the way down the street for fresh summer corn. It’s one of those items that simply makes you feel like it’s summer. There’s nothing quite like grilled corn on the cob.
However I always tend to over buy corn. I’ll grab a half dozen but then we will only eat 3 or 4 ears. I do this routinely so I always need to find a way to eat the remaining corn. I have several casserole dishes that use corn but unfortunately most of them are full of cheese or cream or other fattening ingredients. I’ve been looking for one that is a bit healthier and this one does.
Corn and Bacon Casserole may not sound like it’s healthy but in reality the bacon is the only ingredient that really adds fat. Instead of cream or cheese this recipe uses plain Greek yogurt for creaminess. It also adds in onions and garlic for additional flavor.
I was surprised by how flavorful this side dish is and how I never would have guessed that it isn’t full of fat. It’s the perfect side dish to take with you to picnics and parties all summer long but you can also jazz it up and eat it at the holidays with frozen corn as well. If you like corn make sure you give this dish a try!
Corn and Bacon Casserole
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 c. onion
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. milk
- 4 c. corn fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoons parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until brown. Remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate. Chop.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the flour, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt and milk.
- Add the corn and mix well.
- Pour half of the corn mixture into the prepared bowl. Sprinkle with half of the bacon and parsley. Pour remaining corn mixture in the dish and top with remaining bacon and parsley.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Wednesday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers by Books n’ Cooks
- Cheesy Tomato and Squash Casserole by Blogghetti
- Corn and Bacon Casserole by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Farmer’s Market Tortellini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Garlic Scape Pesto by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Raspberry Buckle by Savory Moments
- Mexican Street Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Mushroom Ceviche by The Freshman Cook
- Orange Cantaloupe Smoothie by Making Miracles
- Blackened Steak Cobb Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pesto Chicken Lasagna by The Spiffy Cookie
- Root Beer Float Smoothie Popsicles by Our Sutton Place