As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Every January my husband and I start eating very healthy. It usually lasts a month or so and then we go back to our normal eating habits but it’s a great way to jump start healthy living in the new year. So we’ve been trying a whole lot of healthy recipes. Some have been really good and flavorful, some have not.
This Skillet Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini and Squash was a great weeknight meal because it’s all made in one skillet. It’s ready in under 30 minutes and there aren’t a ton of ingredients. Served with rice or pasta it makes a complete meal.
As I was cooking this dish my husband kept coming in and looking at it. I have to admit, it isn’t much to look at. Based on appearance alone we both thought it was going to be fairly bland and just ok so neither of us were too excited about dinner that night.
However, we were both pleasantly surprised when we started eating our dinner. The fresh lemon juice adds a nice brightness to the dish while the Parmesan cheese adds saltiness and flavor. The herbs used in the dish help give it a little pizzazz as well.
All and all I was quite happy how this skillet meal turned out and my husband said that he was really surprised that he enjoyed it as well. As I said we served ours with rice but if you are counting carbs you could totally serve it with a salad and it would be filling enough for an entree.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- Looking for an easy vegetarian meal? Substitute extra firm tofu or plant based chicken in place of the chicken.
- Don’t like zucchini or squash? You can use any combination of cauliflower, broccoli, onions, eggplant, or pumpkin.
- Use real Parmesan cheese not the powdered stuff in a can. The cheese adds a ton of flavor to this dish and using the powdered cheese just doesn’t do this recipe justice.
- Have leftovers? Re-purpose the chicken and vegetables on top of a flatbread pizza for lunch the next day!
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 T. butter
- salt and black pepper
- 3 T. white wine
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. rosemary
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise then diced
- 2 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise then diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 c. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and butter.
- Add the chicken and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add in the wine, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, rosemary, lemon zest, zucchini, squash, and garlic cloves. Saute for 6-8 mintues or until the zucchini and squash are soft and cooked.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 57g
Monday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Air Fryer Kale Chips by Blogghetti
- Blueberry Peach Coffee Cake by Making Miracles
- Brown Butter Peach Scones by The Spiffy Cookie
- Corn and Tomato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Fresh Peach French Toast Casserole by Our Sutton Place
- Grandma’s Banana Cake by Family Around the Table
- Grilled Double Cherry Naan Bread Dessert by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Zucchini Pesto Pizza by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Kohlrabi and Radish Slaw by Savory Moments
- Mexican Street Corn Salad by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Roasted Spaghetti Squash by Intelligent Domestications
- Peach and Strawberry Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peach Upside Down Cake by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Shrimp Salad with Bibb Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Peas by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Skillet Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini and Squash by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tart Apple Galette with Cinnamon Crumble by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Watermelon Salsa by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Zucchini and Tomato Tian by Palatable Pastime