Corn season is here! It really starts feeling like summer once corn season comes around. When I was a kid we used to wait for Evans City corn. That was the staple of summer in suburban Pittsburgh back in the 90's. Evans City had the sweetest, freshest corn and you could buy it on random street corners. It was pretty awesome.
Now I wait until I see corn at the farmer's market to know that summer has started. While I still like sweet corn, I prefer corn that is a little less sweet. I love getting it fresh because you can wait a few days before cooking it and it still tastes amazing. I hate getting corn from the store and the next day it's mealy and gross.
Since it's summer and it's hot outside I've been looking for dishes to make on the stove top. It's too hot to turn on the oven and too hot to stand over the grill so the stove top (or a cold plate) it is. While I usually think pasta is too hot to eat when the temperature goes above 80 degrees this one is so fresh and tasty that it was the perfect taste of summer.
Corn pasta with Bacon and Pecorino Romano is bursting with flavors. It had a really complex flavor that came from the sweetness of the corn, the saltiness of the bacon, a sharpness from the Pecorino Romano, and a tartness from the lemon juice. The whole dish basically screams summer in your mouth.
I made it with pappardelle pasta which was a good choice. The thick ribbons of pasta stood up well to all of the flavors in this pasta dish. I made a few small adjustments to the original recipe such as adding the bacon and also leaving more of the corn whole. I couldn't see blending all of that delicious, fresh corn and it turned out leaving it whole was a great choice.
We enjoyed this pasta with a side salad which made it hearty enough to be an entire meal. I like that it was quick and easy to make so I didn't have to have the stove top on for too long. So if you are a fresh summer corn lover like myself get to the farmer's market, buy yourself some corn, check out the other awesome #FarmersMarketWeek recipes, and make sure to try this dish while the corn is still in season!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 3 T. chopped jalapenos
- 3 T. butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb. pappardelle
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ c. Pecorino Romano
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and heat over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, turning twice, until browned. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Chop.
- Add the shallots, garlic, ⅓ of the corn, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- In the same skillet heat the butter over medium heat. Add the remaining corn and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the jalapenos, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add in the corn puree and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving a half cup of pasta water.
- Add the pasta water to the corn mixture and mix well. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the pasta in 4 bowls and top with the corn sauce. Sprinkle with bacon, parsley, and Pecorino Romano.
Wednesday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes
- Charred Corn, Zucchini, Arugula Pizza by The Baking Fairy
- Cherry Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Caroline's Cooking
- Corn Pasta with Bacon and Pecorino Romano by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fresh Blueberry Streusel Topped Crumb Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Green Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream by House of Nash Eats
- Indian Style Vegetable Fried Rice by Palatable Pastime
- Maple Bundt Cake with Cinnamon Maple Glaze by Family Around the Table
- Naan Bread Grilled Veggie Pizza by The Freshman Cook
- Peach, Zucchini and Onion Flatbread by Cookaholic Wife
- Raspberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken by Tip Garden
- Roasted Onion Dip by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Savory Tomato Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable Lasagne Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Everyday Eileen
- Veggie Bagel Sandwich by Books n' Cooks
- Watermelon Mojito Popsicles by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Zucchini Scones by Kate's Recipe Box