The last time I tried making General Tso's tofu it was a disaster. I was supposed to dip it in a cornstarch and baking soda and it tasted terrible. I was a little apprehensive to try a different version but this General Chow's tofu sounded much better. I also made the tofu without anything on it which seems to be the best way for me to cook it.
1 T. oil
¼ c. onion, minced
2 T. garlic, minced
2 t. ginger, minced
1 ⅓ c. vegetable broth
¼ c. soy sauce
3 T. sugar
2 T. lemon juice
½ t. red pepper
2 T. water
1 bunch broccoli
1. Drain the excess water from the tofu.
3. Spray the bottom of a large skillet with cooking spray. Add in the tofu and cook for 10 minutes per side or until browned.
6. Add vegetable broth, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, red pepper, black pepper, and Sriracha sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil.
7. In a small bowl mix the water with cornstarch and add to the boiling sauce. Cook until thickened.
8. Add broccoli to the pan with the sauce and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.