This week we are sharing Dairy for Dinner recipes. When I heard that the only thing I could think of was macaroni and cheese with some type of meat. I was really struggling with this one and I’m not sure why. I guess I wanted to make sure my meal had plenty of dairy in it and wasn’t just used as a topping like a cheeseburger or a salad with cheese.
I actually asked a few of my friends what they thought of when they heard dairy for dinner and they had a ton of great ideas! Everything from pasta in cream or cheese sauce to cream or milk based soups to poultry in cream sauces. They had great ideas and I’m so glad I asked!
This recipe came from another blogger. I was reading a few weekly menu plans and this recipe for Southwestern Corn and Potato Chowder was on one of them. I was intrigued because while I love potato soup we have it a lot and I was looking for something different. With corn season upon us I thought a corn chowder was a great idea.
To make this soup you need a pile of potatoes, some bell peppers, and corn. If it’s not corn season you can certainly use frozen corn but I think fresh cut off the kernel is best. To that you add chicken broth, half and half, and spices. Then you top it all off with crispy bacon, pepper jack cheese, and cilantro.
If you want to spice up the soup feel free to add a small can of green chilies or a few chopped jalapenos. Either would work really well in the chowder and add a nice amount of heat that wouldn’t be too overwhelming.
I like that this chowder is ready in about 45 minutes as well. I hate when soup takes forever to cook and you have to simmer it over low heat for hours. This one basically just needs the time for the potatoes to become tender then it’s good to go.
Pro Tips and Substitutions:
- Add a 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies or a few seeded and chopped jalapenos for additional spice.
- You can use whole milk or heavy cream in place of the half and half if that’s what you have in your refrigerator. I wouldn’t use skim or 1% milk though as it will make the chowder too thin.
- To make the soup creamier you could add a small can of creamed corn in addition to the amount of corn listed in the ingredients.
Recipe from Tide and Thyme As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe from Tide and Thyme
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dairy for Dinner
- Alcohol Free Cheese Fondue by That Recipe
- Cheese Burek by Art of Natural Living
- Chicken in Lemon Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta by Making Miracles
- Loaded Beer Cheese Potato Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pea and Ricotta Carbonara by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Scalloped Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
- Southwest Corn and Potato Chowder by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks