As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Today is the last day of #BBQWeek and I hope you’ve been following along for all the delicious recipes! On Monday I shared my Grilled London Broil recipe as a main dish, on Wednesday I shared my Everything Bagel Pasta Salad recipe as a side dish, and today I’m sharing my Grilled Greek Asparagus recipe as a vegetable side! If you put all three recipes together you will have one terrific menu for a summer BBQ! Plus you can add in recipes from all the other bloggers too.
In the past few years I’ve just recently begun to eat asparagus. I never really ate it before, not because I didn’t like it but more because we never had it at home. It just wasn’t a vegetable I was used to eating. Spring is prime time for asparagus and I received the loveliest, freshest asparagus. I couldn’t wait to get it on the grill so we could have it with our dinner.
I enjoy cooking asparagus on the grill because it’s a hearty vegetable that stands up well to grilling and gets a lot of flavor from it. My original recipe was for Asparagus crostini but it’s been raining like crazy the last week so I changed it to the simple but absolutely delicious Grilled Greek Asparagus because it only takes a few minutes to grill so I didn’t care if it was raining or not. Plus, this recipe is really delicious and so easy to make!
To make this side dish you simply rub a bit of olive oil on asparagus and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Then you place them on the grill until they begin to get grill marks on them. Just a note; make sure they do not fall through the grates on the grill! I had two asparagus spears fall through the grates of the grill and it’s a pain to get them out.
Once the asparagus is grilled I topped it with marinated veggies and feta cheese. I have to say, this is a gorgeous side dish to have at a BBQ or picnic. Not only does it look good but it tastes great too! The asparagus has great flavor from the grill and the marinated veggies have a bite from the balsamic vinegar. Then a sprinkling of feta cheese on top brings the dish together.
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 c. roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled + more for garnish
- Pour the olive oil on the asparagus and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn the asparagus to coat it then set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic cloves, oregano, and honey. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the red peppers, onions, and cheese and toss to coat.
- Heat a gas grill to medium high heat.
- Place the asparagus on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally, until it begins to get grill marks. Remove to a plate.
- Pour the marinated vegetables over top of the asparagus and sprinkle with feta. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking