Do you shop at Aldi? We got an Aldi several years ago in my small town and it's been a great addition to the stores that we already have. While I can't do all of my shopping at Aldi I do like to go there for my produce. They often have fruits and vegetables much cheaper then the grocery stores in my area.
Last week I took Baby J shopping to buy some fruits and vegetables to make some baby food. We bought cantaloupe, green beans, squash, apples, and mango. I brought everything home and used some of the cantaloupe, squash, apples, and mango to make baby food. I ended up having several squash, green beans, and an apple leftover.
I don't often cook with squash so I went looking for a vegetable side dish that used squash. Instead of finding a side dish I found what looked like a really tasty one pot meal! It had two of my favorite ingredients in it, chicken and cheese.
The chicken is sauteed in a skillet with butter and is coated in breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. It gets golden brown and really crispy. Then you take the chicken out of the pan and saute the squash in the same pan so it gets all that yummy flavor.
I served this with a side of roasted potatoes but it would be good over top of rice or pasta as well. It's also great on its own. For as quick and as easy as this recipe is, it packed a ton of flavor and the chicken was super crispy. Both my husband and I enjoyed it and I'll be making it again soon.
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half
- 5 T. butter
- ½ c. breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. flour
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese + 2 tablespoons
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 t. roasted garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1 inch disks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and place in a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish combine the breadcrumbs, flour, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Dip each chicken piece into the butter and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Cook in the butter in the skillet for 5 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Add the squash and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Return chicken to the pan, heat through, and serve.