The Hezzi-D Club Sandwich is a twist on the turkey club. It's a double decker sandwich packed with turkey, bacon, two types of cheeses, lettuce, and avocado with a smear of mayonnaise.
During the summer it gets pretty warm in our house, especially since we don't have air conditioning. While we rarely get temperature above 90 degrees it still gets hot in the house.
To help stay cool we often make cold plates, salads, and sandwiches for dinner. Along with our dinners we always have ice cold beverages. One of my favorite summer drinks is iced tea.
Last night I was craving a good sandwich. Not the plain old turkey and cheese or grilled cheese sandwich that I normally make in the summer when I want a sandwich.
I'm talking thick slices of meat, different cheeses, vegetables...the works. When I told my husband what I was thinking, he immediately suggested a Club Sandwich with fresh brewed iced tea.
- white bread
- cheddar cheese
- gouda cheese
- smoked turkey
To Make the Club Sandwiches: Place two pieces of bread on a cutting board. Spread with a layer of mayonnaise. Top each with a slice of turkey, 1 slice cheddar cheese, 2 bacon halves, 3 slices of avocado, and 1 lettuce leaf. Top with another slice of bread. Spread it with mayonnaise, top each with turkey, 1 slice of Smoked Gouda, 2 bacon halves, and 1 lettuce leaf. Cut into quarters and enjoy.
When I asked my husband what he liked on his Club it turned out that while the basis of our sandwiches was the same, we had some different ideas. I thought turkey and bacon sounded good while he thought turkey, bacon, and ham was what went on a club.
I went searching for the answer as to what is actually on a club and the traditional sandwich is turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on toasted bread.
I like all of that except the tomato. I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes. I started thinking about what I really wanted on my sandwich and the original Hezzi-D Club Sandwich was born.
What is a Club Sandwich?
A club sandwich is a double decker sandwich. A club is typically a sandwich with toasted white bread, some type of poultry, bacon, lettuce, and mayonnaise. There is much debate over the origin of the Club sandwich but it is three slices of bread with meat and vegetables and sometimes cheese in between the layers.
Can I use something besides turkey?
You sure can. Two popular options are either chicken or ham in place of the turkey. You can also do turkey and ham or chicken and ham if you want to use two different types of meat along with the bacon.
What types of cheese can I use?
You can really use whatever kind of cheese you like. Popular options are the cheddar, Gouda, mozzarella, American, Colby Jack, or Swiss. You can use one type of cheese or multiple types of cheese.
Why does the bread need to be toasted?
The bread needs to be toasted in order to hold all the ingredients in this sandwich. Regular bread is not firm enough to hold them plus it can get soggy. Toasted bread holds up to the hearty ingredients in this sandwich.
I started my sandwich with thick, toasted white sandwich bread. Don't buy the diet bread or the thin store brand bread. Make sure you have a heart white bread.
I stacked the first layer with turkey, mayonnaise, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, and avocado. The second stack had almost the same except I substituted Smoked Gouda for the cheddar cheese and left off the avocado. They looked mouthwatering just sitting on our plates with a side of potatoes.
More Sandwich Recipes:
- Fried Tofu Sandwich
- Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Slaw
- Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast Sandwiches
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The taste was amazing! My husband and I ate every single bite of these awesome club sandwiches. The two different types of cheese both came through as did the avocado and bacon.
I served mine with a tall glass of iced tea. This is really the perfect dinner for a hot summer night. It's filling, easy to make, and you don't need to turn on the oven.
If you’ve tried my The Hezzi-D Club Sandwich or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 thick slices of Smoked Gouda
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 4 oz. smoked turkey, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Toast all 6 pieces of bread.
- Place two pieces of the bread on a cutting board. Spread each with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Top each with one ounce of turkey, 1 slice cheddar cheese,
2 bacon halves, 3 slices of avocado, and 1 lettuce leaf.
- Top with another slice of toasted bread. Spread it with mayonnaise, top each with 1 ounce of turkey, 1 slice of
Smoked Gouda, 2 bacon halves, and 1 lettuce leaf.
- Spread the last piece of toast with mayonnaise, place it mayo side down on top of the lettuce, and press down.
- Using toothpicks or sandwich spears, place 4 into each sandwich. Cut into 4 triangles and serve with a pickle on the side.
A Hezzi-D original recipe
Beat the Heat Recipes
- Best Tomato Sandwich from Palatable Pastime
- Calypso Caribbean Cobb Salad from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- >Hezzi-D Club Sandwich from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Keto Caprese Wrap from Magical Ingredients
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad in Pitas from Jen Around the World
- Shrimp Ceviche with Pickled Onion from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Strawberry, Rhubarb, & Pear Salad from The Spiffy Cookie
- Summer Fruit Salad from The Freshman Cook
- Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint from Books n' Cooks
- White Gazpacho from That Recipe