One of my favorite treats in the summer is ice cream. I don't often have it because of the high calorie and fat content, but we do have it for a treat occasionally. While I like just about any topping on my ice cream, my husband is partial to hot fudge. He loves the thick, sweet fudge on top of vanilla ice cream.
The last two weeks we've done a ton of traveling and while he was away for the day last week, I decided to surprise him with homemade hot fudge. Have you ever tried to make it? It's super easy and so much better then the store bought stuff. It only has a handful of ingredients and there are no artificial flavors or preservatives.
I made a batch of the hot fudge and it filled two half pint jars. The fudge is thick and gooey. When it's poured on top of ice cream it firms up on top. It's totally delicious and I can't believe I haven't made it before!
To make a sundae, I placed large scoops of vanilla ice cream in bowls then slathered them in hot fudge sauce. Using the leftover heavy cream, I made homemade whipped cream and put a large dollop on top. Then I poured on some sprinkles and placed a cherry on top. The perfect summer treat.
For the hot fudge:
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
- ⅓ c. sugar
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Sundae:
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sprinkles
- 2 cherries
- To make the hot fudge, place the heavy cream, butter, corn syrup, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add in the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the hot fudge comes together. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- To make the sundaes, place big scoops of vanilla ice cream into 2 bowls.
- Place the heavy cream and sugar in a bowl. Mix on high with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Drizzle hot fudge over top of the vanilla ice cream, place a dollop of whipped cream on top, and top it off with a cherry. Sprinkle with sprinkles and enjoy.
Source: Hot Fudge Sauce adapted from Chocolate Moosey