Most days I eat breakfast at school. I have to sit with the kids at breakfast time so I figure I might as well eat with them too. Mostly I have two pieces of whole wheat toast which costs a whopping 35 cents. On the days they have cinnamon rolls or coffee cake I’ll get that instead.
However, on days when I just eat toast I often start getting hungry around 10:30 and my lunch isn’t until 12 so I end up snacking. I’ve been trying to find something I can make at home but eat at work that still fills me up.
Last year I started making baked oatmeal which was filling and nutritious. The only problem was it was messy and I had to put it in a container and it was just a pain. So thinking about my problem I decided to bake the oatmeal in muffin tins so I could just reheat them on a napkin and carry them to the cafeteria in the morning.
The best part about these baked oatmeal bites is that you can make multiple flavors since they are individual servings. I ended up making 1/3 of them mixed berry, 1/3 banana nut, and 1/3 spiced cranberry. They were awesome and each one comes in around 88 calories. I’ve been taking 2 to work with me each day. I have one at 8:30 with my students then another at 10:30 and then I’m set until lunch. Plus it’s less than 180 calories which is perfect for breakfast!
- 2 c. old fashioned oats
- 1 c. low fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3T. brown sugar
- 3 T. flax seed
- 1 t. sea salt
- ¼ c. dried cranberries
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ½ banana, cut in thin slices then each slice cut into quarters
- 3 T. pecan, chopped
- ⅓ c. fresh or frozen mixed berries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the brown sugar, flax seeds, and salt and stir until well combined.
- Divide the oatmeal into 3 bowls. Add the spiced cranberry ingredients to one bowl and mix, add the banana nut ingredients to a second bowl and mix, and add the mixed berries to a third bowl and mix.
- Divide each batter into 4 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely then store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.