As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
So the other day I realized I haven’t used my Instant Pot in a few weeks. I know it’s because it’s summer time and I often want to use it in the winter because it makes warm meals. However, it’s perfect for summer since we don’t have air conditioning and the Instant Pot won’t heat up the kitchen.
So I started looking for easy and flavorful recipes to make in the Instant Pot and I came up with this one for Instant Pot Chicken and Kielbasa Creole. Actually, this recipe was made for the slow cooker and used sausage not kielbasa but I changed it to fit what I had in the freezer and how I wanted to cook it. I haven’t actually used my Instant Pot as a slow cooker yet and in this case I changed the recipe to be a pressure cooker recipe.
There are several things about this recipe that I really liked. I like that it used two different proteins. In my case I used chicken and kielbasa. The recipe calls for chicken thighs and if I make this again I would use the thighs. But since I had chicken breasts in the freezer that’s what I used in this recipe.
I also like the different vegetables used in this dish. Any time I can add extra veggies to dinner I’m happy about it. In this case I would definitely use peppers, onions, and carrots but you can add in additional vegetables if you would like. I added in celery and it worked out well.
So another thing I love about the Instant Pot is that you can cook frozen meat in no time at all. I actually had the chicken in the refrigerator for 24 hours but when I went to use it it was still frozen. No problem, I simply added 5 minutes to the time of the pressure cooking and it turned out just fine.
This recipe was simple to make and it turned out really flavorful. I served it over top of rice for a one pot meal. It also makes a ton so we had plenty of leftovers for the next few days.
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 12 oz. kielbasa
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped carrots
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 c. tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 c. rice, cooked
- Place the boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Cut the kielbasa into 1 inch disk and sprinkle around the chicken breasts.
- Add the onions, peppers, carrots, celery, and garlic cloves to the pot.
- In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Mix well and pour over top of the chicken and vegetables in the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and turn to high pressure for 20 minutes. If you have frozen chicken put it on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once the timer beeps allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes then open the vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Return to pot and mix to combine.
- Serve over top of rice.
Recipe adapted fromSkinnytaste