I've been slacking with using my Instant Pot which is just a shame. When I got it I was using it at least once a week which made life so easy. While it takes some time to prep the ingredients for the Instant Pot, once it's in there you just let it do its magic and when it beeps dinner is ready!
I always find myself using slow cookers and pressure cookers in the winter because they make hot food. I don't often think about using them in the summer but I should. Using them means I don't have to turn on the oven or heat up the kitchen at all. It's the perfect solution to making dinner when it's hot outside.
So last week when it was up near 90 degrees I broke out my Instant Pot to make dinner. We've been eating later because by the time Baby J wakes up and we play and get ready to go it's already 5 or 6 in the evening. Then it takes another 30 minutes to an hour to make dinner. This week I prepped the ingredients during nap time and had everything ready to go for these Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Bowls when Baby J woke up.
This recipe is super easy to make and it makes a lot of food. It only takes about 30 minutes in the Instant Pot so once everything is in it's ready to go. You can serve it over top of rice, couscous, or quinoa. I've included a recipe for rice which I actually used half rice and half cauliflower rice to make it even healthier.
The chicken is mixed with salsa, a few spices, and chipotle peppers in the Instant Pot and cooked on high. Once it's finished you throw the corn in the pot for a few minutes and that's it! Shred the chicken, put it on top of rice in a bowl and then put your choice of toppings on. We put avocado, sour cream, and a sprinkle of cheese on top but you could put black beans, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, or any other choice of toppings.
This is a very flavorful meal and one that cooks up well in the Instant Pot. The chicken is tender and the corn is lightly cooked but retains its sweetness. The rice has flavors of lime and cilantro. We had plenty of chicken leftover and used it to top nachos with the next day so it actually made two meals which I love!
- 2 lb. boneless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. cumin
- 2 c. salsa
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, husks removed and corn cut off the cob
- 1 can black beans
- 2 c. prepared rice (or 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of cauliflower rice)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- ¼ c. sour cream
- ¼ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Put the chicken in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin.
- Pour the salsa over top of the chicken and add in the chipotle pepper.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let it release naturally for 5 minutes then release any steam. Remove the chicken and shred. Return the chicken to the pot.
- Add the corn to the Instant Pot, put the lid on and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Release steam immediately and remove the lid.
- Add the black beans to the pot and stir.
- To make the rice place the prepared rice in a bowls and add in the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and cilantro then mix well.
- To make the bowls place ½ cup of rice in each of 4 bowls. Place a healthy serving of the chicken, corn, and bean mixture on top then place avocado slices, 1 lime wedge, a spoonful of sour cream, and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.
- Save remaining chicken mixture for later.