Lately I've been coming home exhausted. It might be that we are in the middle of a special education audit or the fact that I've had a crazy number of referrals to special ed at my school. In any case, in addition to all the teaching I do all day I've had a lot of extra paperwork on top of that. By the time I get home I'm tired and I'm ready to crash on the couch.
However there's a little thing called dinner that gets in the way of that. I've been trying to find meals that take less then 15 minutes to prep and are easy to cook. This Italian Chicken Bake is one of those dishes plus it's served over pasta. You all know how I feel about chicken and pasta so this one is a winner all around.
The chicken is baked in a dish with garlic, artichokes, tomatoes, and kale, then topped off with cheese and served with pasta. It was delicious. I loved the addition of the artichokes and kale in with the chicken. Plus it was perfect for this month's What's Baking theme, Chow Ciao Italiano, hosted by Nicole at Seven Ate Nine.
Italian Chicken Bake (adapted from Our Story)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small jar of artichokes, cut in half
1 c. kale, chopped
2 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
2 T. flour
2 t. oregano
1 t. parsley
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 c. mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the garlic, artichokes, kale, olive oil, salt, pepper, flour, oregano, parsley, and tomatoes.
3. Pour half the tomato mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. Place the chicken breasts on top and the spoon the remaining tomato mixture on top of the chicken.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. remove from oven and sprinkle the cheese over top.
5. Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Serve over top of pasta.