Before I can even start this post I need to talk about meatloaf. Meatloaf is one of those foods that I can take or leave. It was never one of my favorite meals and my mom didn't make it very often when I was growing up. I just don't understand the whole here is a giant hunk of meat, let's pour some ketchup on top and bake it in the oven. It just doesn't work for me.
My husband enjoys a good meatloaf and I really do think more men like it then women which is why I'm including this in a round up of Father's Day recipes. I don't make it often for him but he really does enjoy it when I do make it. I've tried several different recipes including cheesy meatloaf, meatloaf with several different meats, and one covered in a brown sugar sauce. While I've eaten them all I have yet to be impressed.
I was hoping it would be different with Jeff Mauro's Meatloaf. From the time I read the recipe I thought that it was something we might both enjoy. I liked that the sauce on top was a combination of barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and Sriracha. It sounded sweet, spicy, and perfect to top a meatloaf.
The meatloaf itself consisted of two different types of ground meat, crushed crackers instead of breadcrumbs, and a whole lot of flavors. I could actually feel myself start to get excited about this version. I whipped it up on a really cold day and made a pile of mashed potatoes on the side figuring if I didn't like the meatloaf I could at least enjoy the potatoes.
As it turned out I thought this meatloaf was pretty tasty! It's still not my favorite meal but while eating it I even turned to my husband and told him that I would make this one again which is high praise from me! He agreed that he liked the flavor of the meatloaf and the sweet, spicy, tangy sauce on top. It went perfectly with the mashed potatoes as well.
So if you are looking for a meal for dad this Father's Day and want to skip the grilling but not the beef make sure to give this meatloaf a try. You and your dad will both be glad you did!
Jeff Mauro's Meatloaf
A tasty meatloaf made with two kinds of meat, plenty of flavors, and topped with a sweet, spicy, and tangy sauce.
For the meatloaf:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ c. milk
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 c. coarsely crushed saltine crackers
For the glaze:
- ½ c. barbecue sauce
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and peppers and saute for 3-5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine this milk, dijon, Worcestershire sauce, and eggs. Mix well.
- Add the beef, pork, crackers, and the vegetable mixture and mix together with your hands.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and lightly press down to smooth the top.
- In a small bowl whisk together the barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and hot sauce. Pour over top of the meatloaf (it will look like a lot but that's ok).
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
Recipe adapted from Jeff Mauro at Food Network
Fantastic Father's Day
- Chicken Shawarma by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Classic Buttermilk Pancakes by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Spinach Dip by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Jeff Mauro's Meatloaf by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Lamb Burger with Tzatziki Sauce by Art of Natural Living
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng
I never liked meatloaf growing up either! And I was surprised recently to get a recipe I enjoyed. How funny!
Made this meatloaf exactly as printed and it was amazing! My husband couldn't stop raving about it. Yummy 😋
Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! We really like it too!
I actually love meatloaf! Especially with bbq sauce. What a nice meal to fix on Father's Day.
I always make the same old boring meatloaf. This looks delicious. Putting on the menu soon!
Meatloaf is a family favorite around this household and your recipe sounds wonderful.