As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This month the What’s Baking? challenge is from Cara at The Boys Made Me Do It! Her challenge was to bake something for Mother’s Day. Now I had a tough time with this. For one, I saw my mother the weekend before Mother’s Day so I knew if I baked something, it was going to be for me. The second problem was that whenever I think Mother’s Day I think red velvet, I think flowers, I think chocolate. Well, I didn’t want to make any of that. I wanted something light, and spring like to celebrate the day.
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes(adapted from The Big Book of Cupcakes from Betty Crocker)
1 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
6 T. butter
3 T. applesauce
2/3 c. sugar
1 egg white
1 T. lemon grated lemon peel
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
2. In a medium bowl cream the butter, applesauce, and sugar together until well mixed. Beat in the egg and egg white. Mix in the lemon juice, lemon peel, and vanilla. Set aside.
3. In another medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly stir the flour mix into the butter mixture, stirring the flour is added. Pour in the milk and mix until everything is smooth and well combined.
4. Divide the batter into the 12 prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 of the way full. Place 3-4 berries on top of the batter in each cup and press down slightly.
5. Bake 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Remove to rack to cool.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting (adapted from The Big Book of Cupcakes from Betty Crocker)
5 T. butter
3-4 T. lemon juice
1 t. grated lemon peel
1. With an electric mixer beat together the butter, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until it is well combined and the icing is smooth. This may take several minutes.