While surfing Pinterest one day for dinner ideas I came across a post for Navajo Tacos. I’ve never heard of a Navajo Taco before so I was curious about what it was. It’s basically a stacked taco but instead of a tortilla on the bottom, there’s a piece of fried dough. Now this was talking my language as I love all bread and especially enjoy fried breads. Putting all of my taco fixings on top of fried dough sounded wonderful.
The recipe I found was for a vegetarian version of this but since I already had ground beef thawing in the refrigerator I wanted to add it to these tacos. The fried dough is simply fried refrigerated biscuit dough. I was able to fry them up in about 10 minutes while I was cooking the beef. On top of the tacos I put refried beans, ground beef, avocados, cheese, tomatoes, and a spicy sour cream sauce. Of course, you can put any of your favorite toppings on top of the fried dough and have it for dinner.
I loved the way the crispy dough tasted with the taco fixings. While I couldn’t pick it up and enjoy it like a classic taco, it was easy to cut it with a knife and fork and eat it that way. We even put a little bit of salsa over the top of them to finish them off. Both my husband and I enjoyed these and I certain they will be on our menu again soon.
- 1 tube refrigerated flaky biscuits (8 count)
- Oil for frying
- 1 lb. beef
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 c. refried beans, heated
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 c. tomatoes, diced
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a heavy bottomed skillet.
- Using your hands, flatten each biscuit to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Fry the biscuits two at a time. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it has browned. Add in the cumin and chili powder and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, garlic cloves, and chipotle pepper. Mix well.
- To assemble the taco place a fried biscuit on a plate. Top with several spoonfuls of ground beef, ¼ c. refried beans, 2 tablespoons of cheese, 3 avocado slices, a few tomatoes, and a dollop of the sour cream mixture.