The Philly Style Beef Melt mixes ground beef, green peppers, and onions with two types of cheese and a creamy mustard sauce on a sturdy sub roll.
Over the last few months I've been getting a meal subscription box about once a month. I've tried many over the years and this is the only one we've stuck with.
The thing I like about HelloFresh is that the meals are easy enough to make in about a half an hour but they have a lot of flavor to them. Some are spicy, they have plenty of seasonings, and all the produce is fresh.
I also like that I can replicate the meals on my own. The ingredients are simple enough I can find them at any market. The only problem with these boxes are that they are expensive unless you get a deal on them.
I was excited when we received the Philly Style Beef Melts in our box. It looked like a combination between a Philly cheesesteak and a Patty Melt. Beef, cheese, onions, and peppers piled high on a hearty roll. I couldn't wait to make them.
- ground beef
- green pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sour cream
- Dijon mustard
- sub rolls
- beef stock
- pepper jack cheese
- cheddar cheese
To make the subs I combined the ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a skillet and sauteed for 5-7 minutes or until the beef was cooked through and the vegetables had softened.
In a small bowl I combined the sour cream and Dijon mustard along with salt and pepper. Set that aside. Toast the sub rolls.
Add the beef stock and Dijon mustard to the pan with the ground beef and mix well to combine. Sprinkle the pepper jack cheese on top of the beef and allow to melt.
Fill the sub rolls with the beef mixture then top with cheddar cheese. Drizzle with the creamy mustard sauce and enjoy.
Do I have to make the mustard sauce?
No you don't but it adds a nice zing to the sandwich. If you don't like Dijon mustard you could use brown mustard instead.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes! Use whatever type of cheese you'd like as long as it's a good melting cheese. Some good ideas are gouda, mozzarella, Swiss, or even Brie.
Can I use steak instead of ground beef?
You sure can! In this case cook the steak to your liking and cook the vegetables separately. Thinly slice the steak them combine the steak and vegetables along with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, beef stock, and Dijon mustard.
These subs are amazing. The beef combined with the peppers, onions, and cheese is really tasty. While the mustard sauce isn't needed it adds a nice tangy flavor to the sandwich.
You could also make these with thinly sliced chicken if you don't like ground beef. It would have the same flavors but just a different protein.
More Beef Sandwich Recipes:
- BBQ Bacon Cheddar Burgers
- Classic Sloppy Joes
- Burgers with Bacon Onion Jam
- In-and-Out Style Cheeseburgers
If you’ve tried my Philly Style Beef Melts or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
- ⅓ c. pepper jack cheese
- 2 large sub rolls or 4 small sub rolls
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ c. cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet combine the ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Saute for 6-8 minutes or until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened.
- Add in the beef stock and 1 teaspoon DIjon mustard to the beef mixture and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the pepper jack cheese to the beef mixture and let it cook for 1 minute or until melted.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream with the remaining Dijon mustard along with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
- Toast the rolls in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the beef and vegetable mixture on the toasted rolls. Top with the cheddar cheese and drizzle with the creamy mustard sauce.
Recipe adapted from HelloFresh