The closer it gets to Christmas the more I begin searching for cookies. I like making a few traditional cookies every year but then I like to add in some new ones as well. Traditionally I make thumbprint cookies, cranberry bliss bars, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal raisin cookies. They are all favorites and get gobbled up but it's nice to try new cookies so I know what people like.
I found these Polar Expresso Cookies and thought they were super cute and clever. The Polar Express is such a traditional Christmas time book and the movie has been popular as well. These cookies would be perfect for adults to eat while on the Polar Express. They contain espresso or strong brewed coffee, dried cranberries, lots of spices, pecans, and chocolate chips. If that isn't enough there are sprinkles on top.
I know it sounds like there are a lot of different ingredients in these cookies but they all really work well together. Coffee and chocolate are a delicious combination and mixed with the warm cardamom and ginger you know it's the holidays when you are eating these. Then the cranberries add a sweet, tart, and fruity flavor which is really great in these cookies. Pecans give the cookies a bit of texture.
I baked these cookies up and put the sprinkles on top. You can choose any sprinkles you want but using snowflakes or colored sprinkles will give them a festive look. The cookies are delicious served with a cup of coffee, a hot latte, or even a bit of spiced mulled cider or wine.
So this holiday season make these Polar Expresso Cookies on a cute holiday plate along with beverages or package them up for a festive holiday hostess gift.
Polar Expresso Cookies
Cookies made with espresso, warm spices, dried cranberries, pecans, and chocolate chips make for a holiday treat.
- ¾ c. packed brown sugar
- ½ c. butter, softened
- 2 T. brewed espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ c. flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. cardamom
- 1 t. ginger
- ⅓ c. dried cranberries or craisins
- ⅓ c. chopped pecans
- ⅓ c. mixed chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the brown sugar and butter.
- Add in the espresso and egg and mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cardamom, and ginger. Mix well.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the remaining flour and mix well.
- Fold in the cranberries, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Drop cookies by 1 inch cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet, 3 inches apart.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden and the center is just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 1 minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Ocean Spray
- Cranberry & Brown Sugar Glazed Turkey Meatloaf from Savory Moments
- Cranberry Butter from Daily Dish Recipes
- Cranberry Curd Pie from The Redhead Baker
- Cranberry Glazed Meatballs from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip from Sweet Beginnings
- Cranberry Orange Marmalade from Books n' Cooks
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Vanilla Liqueur from Family Around the Table
- Jalapeno Cranberry Bombs from Cookaholic Wife
- Pear and Cranberry Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sugared Sparkling Cranberries from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Tart Cherry Cranberry Sauce from The Spiffy Cookie
[email protected] Freshman Cook
These sound so wonderful and look very festive!
Cheese Curd In Paradise
The espresso flavors sound delicious! I love it with the chocolate and cranberry! I can't wait to try these.
Jaida ~ Sweet Beginnings
I love how big and fluffy these cookies look - and such a cute name!
Amy (Savory Moments)
Oh I like the coffee in these and I'm always looking for new cookies to try at the holidays.
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
Glad to see that I'm not the only one obsessing over Christmas cookies in November! These look so festive!
Cute name and cute cookies! I love the spices!
I think these sound delicious with the addition of cardamom in there.
These sound like they have such a tasty mix of flavors!